1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG suddenly dropped this week.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Grren4ever, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Possible solutions:
    1. engine block heater - tested, I have one in the 2003 Prius and it saves about 3 minutes in the early warm-up.
    2. run space heater in cabin - tested, long extension cord and small space heater to warm the cabin. I've seen reports but no interest, yet.
    3. plug-in to use built-in electric heater - experimental, the earlier Prius have a set of cabin, electric heating elements. No one has yet 'hacked' a 12V plug-in solution that lights them off and a fan to 'pre-heat' the cabin. There may be simpler solutions such as a 12V plug-in power source and running the car in "ACC" mode to operate the 12V electrical systems. It won't do anything for the engine but it could solve the cabin problem very nicely.
    So do you feel like hacking a solution?

Bob Wilson

2. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I truly appreciate everyone's response to the post. I'm approaching the first month of ownership and the car's instantaneous mileage is looking normal and even better than I expected. I am at awe at how little gas this thing uses! Very satisfied with the purchase. I'll be a Toyota fan for a very long time (previously was a subaru fan and contemplated for the longest time wether I should get a 3rd gen prius or a 2013 impreza hatch). Glad I choose the Prius :)

3. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everyone has missed the biggest reason for
    mileage drop - winter gas. That's a 10% hit alone.

4. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right now the weather is cool in the morning 38 to 45 degrees and and 70 to 75 degrees in evening. I drive the same route and distance each day. I noticed that the mpg were low 36 to 38. When cool and when warmer I got 46 to 49