1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured MPG Testing is a bit of a Mystery

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 13, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: MPG Testing is a bit of a Mystery: How does your car rank? - Torque News

Ok, I found this article has solid facts and data but a little light-weight in some of the finer details. Of course some of would only be happy with 2-5,000 word essay with charts, graphs, formula, and data. ... You know, what I keep trying to post. <GRINS>

This article is more about plug-in metrics but lets see if anyone wants some boring Bob follow-up posts.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    • Quality articles don't have incomplete sentences in the persistent subheads. (-10 to the author, a stiff spanking to the editor)
    • I would like to see the Bob Wilson take (go for the 5k version)
    • Maybe a better overall metric would be a "mileage per pound" since cars differ so much. Better mileage cars are typically lighter. Fewer options often mean lighter (e.g., the weight penalty for a sunroof or a full size spare tire). Innovative engineering (hybrid system, coefficient of drag, lightweight materials, etc.) shows up in a mileage per pound. Mileage per pound would equalize the comparison between different sized vehicles.
    • Another advantage of using weight as a metric would be the ability to calculate a life cycle cost per pound, including disposal
    • By the way, a Toyota at MSRP is an outstanding buy per pound (about the same cost as a quality steak, and much more delicious)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't get past the first sentence, but i guess that's my issue.:cool:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    instead of mpge, they should just do mpg with no plug charge. that, aer and mpkh are all that really matter.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the first sentence seems to be missi.

Son of Gloin and bisco like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RATS! Reading it I simply filled in the blanks and didn't notice the English issue.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you must work with a lot of young 'professionals'.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, so this is what is says and what I read:
    • A question was raised in the Plug-In Prius Facebook group that questioned why the Toyota Prius Prime was the highest rated MPG car when other PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles).
    • A question was raised in the Plug-In Prius Facebook group that questioned why the Toyota Prius Prime was the highest rated MPG car when [than rjw] other PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles).
    Bob Wilson

9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Found the article very shallow. He did not even use the term MPGe, explain it or even understand it.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I probably should have called it an introduction. <grins>

Bob Wilson

11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, maybe more to come...?

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL. I see what you did there.

That's graduate caliber writing at most colleges these days.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to agree with the author, despite the bad grammer, and incomplete thoughts that giving a phev a single number is hard to understand. Still the epa does provide all the pertinant information.

Compare Side-by-Side

It just is a little hard to decode. YMMV and the amount of gas you burn depends on your driving pattern. The i3-rex with the middling mpge and worst mpg, will likely be the most efficient for many people as long as long as 111 mpge of electricity is significantly more efficient than 54 mpg of gasoline, as it should be rare other than long trips that you exceed the 94 mile epa electrical range. Energy and environment tab shows the prime burning through 3 barrels of oil versus 1.2 for the i3, but of course if you travel less than 25 miles on most days the prime will be lower. The i3 is impracticle with its small gas tank though if you travel much more than 200 miles often, and the small gas tank is a product of outdated CARB rules that assumed people would prefer gas to electricity if their car could burn both. Still all three cars are extremely efficient and much lower in both unhealthy pollution and ghg than the fleet. The prime is a major improvement over the last generation prius phv.

14. bodgm

bodgm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Go to a track. Completely max out the battery with a full charge. Slowly get the car up to 45 MPH and go until the battery is depleted and do this to compare all the Electric cars or the portion o the car that is electric.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not see the point the author wanted to make unless this is only the first article in a series to come.
    EPA has it already in Top Ten (excluding EVs) page he could just point it out for his readers.
    The EPA Top Ten comparison has its weaknesses, it is meant for the "average driver" who fulfills the followings (on an annual basis):
    55% city and 45% highway driving.
    His annual %EV (utility factor) is 89% if he is a BMW i3 REX driver, 53% if he drives a Prius Prime, 76% for driving a Volt and so on.

austingreen likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    phevs have really thrown a wrench into the works. pity the fools who have to figure out what's best for their typical driving. no wonder so many just buy suv's.:rolleyes:

austingreen likes this.
  17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and we know the epa over states city and under states hwy on most aerodynamic cars, but have corrected well for average. The utility factor is highly personel. I would be at about 95% ev in a volt, and a i3 would be inconvenient on longer trips because of the small gas tank. My solution .... telsa model 3 next year, my deposit is down. I'm in other cars on longer than 200 mile trips one way except for about 10 in the last 5 years, and telsa has quick chargers on those routes now. I would have a very high utility factor in the prime too, but I miss having my lexus, and I think the model 3 will get me to most of the luxury and all of the handling and performance. That i3 could work with a few rentals a year, but I don't really like the styling. YMMV

The prime is great for bang per buck. With my driving pattern, ghg would almost be as low as with the tesla, but ... there are other considerations.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice market survey. <grins> The key is you've looked at your requirements and picked the choice that best matches. That is how it should be. In the meanwhile:
    • Prius Prime - down while I get a metric open end to finish install the rear wheel shims to resolve a camber problem.
    • BMW i3-REx - the 'double tank capacity' project has the tank. Next the plumbing.
    Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. I'm curious how you like the prime versus i3 as a daily driver, and if the battery pack makes the prime a little more fun to drive than the regular prius.

Also what is the double tank project?

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He is planning on adding a second to the i3-REx. Currently, I think it needs to refuel every 70 miles when EV charge is exhausted.