1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured MPG Testing is a bit of a Mystery

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, May 13, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct!

The 2 gallon, 70 mile gas range means about 1 hr 15 minutes between refueling. But it turns out Briggs and Stratton makes a 2 gallon, spare gas tank that fits in the frunk and still leaves room for the tire patch kit.
    [​IMG]
    It has a filler cap with about a 1.5" hole that normally has a plastic cover to prevent gas spillage.

I'll fabricate a disk with gasoline resistant gaskets and 3/8" NPT fitting. Then a 3/8", braided gas line terminates in a male "flat face coupling". Then a similar configuration will be installed on my spare, gas filler pipe just before it goes into the existing gas tank. It will have a similar NPT fitting into the female "flat face coupling." It is critical that there be a positive slope from the lowest filler pipe nipple through to the bottom of the 2 gallon, Briggs and Stratton, auxiliary tank.

Around town, the auxiliary tank will be stored in the car port. But when we go on a trip, it and a padded cradle will go in the frunk. I'll fill both tanks; couple them together, and; lay the Briggs and Stratton tank so the filler cap is the low part.
    [​IMG]
    Gravity will transfer the gas using the 'hampster water bottle' principle. When the level of gas in the filler pipe nipple is low enough, a bubble of air/gas fumes will flow up the hose releasing an equal volume of gasoline into the main tank.

My thinking is going from 2 gallons to 4 gallons will extend the gas range to ~140 miles, about 2-2.5 hours depending upon cruising speed and cut out half of the fuel stops. This will significantly improve block-to-block speed which now suffers because of the 1-2 mile, detours to gas stations off the Interstate.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace and austingreen like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or you could just take the Prime :D

3PriusMike and telmo744 like this.
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you concerned that the charging station might be down or busy?

I'm used to being able to refuel every few dozen miles and usually having my choice of a dozen or more hoses. Granted any car could fail, a bridge could be out or a traffic accident causing backup but when an appointment just has to be made (reservation, flight, appointment) I like the almost infinite fuel locations approach. (I've only run my tank to 1/10 full once since I can remember, fears aren't always sensible) I also want a full sized spare. Not because I've had to use one in the last 10 years but because I could have to.

Not that my attitude is rational or the only one ....

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I make long trips so infrequently that I doubt they will be all that busy that I can't get a charge with out waiting many hours a in a year.

On the full size spare, yes I borrowed a friends car when I had a flat, and had to go 60 miles on highway, and did not trust that donut in the prius to last on such a trip, nor did I have time to get it replaced. I had it replaced the next day though. So I've been in that situation, and luckily it didn't cause huge distress like if I was on a long trip in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure there are situations where I may need to rent a car with the tesla, but I do that all the time when I fly somewhere, so its not as big of a deal for me as it may be for others.