1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mpg went down after air filter change and why that may be a good thing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius hacker, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Prius hacker

Prius hacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I acquired My 2012 Prius three weeks ago. It had 218k miles and the ice was just replaced with a 30k mile ice from a donor car. The car is amazing and in every way drives like a new car. I’ve put over 4K miles since I’ve owned it with the only quirk being the infrequent prius cough particularly in cold damp weather. It has not used a discernible amount of oil in that time. I’ve just replaced the air filter that was quite dirty and appeared very aged with a fram and my mileage in early driving appears to have dropped from mid 50s to high 40s. I’m ok with that because I saw the original engine that came out of it melted a hole clean through the pistons. So my supposition is that somehow the dirty filter creates a lean condition that results in improved mpg yet higher engine degradation from higher cylinder temps and less lubrication for the rings. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on your gen three acqusition.

Do you mean melted or grenaded?

I would try cleaning the MAF sensor, along with the throttle body, intake manifold, and egr system.

#2 Greenteapri, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  3. Prius hacker

Prius hacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Idk I was shown the engine outside the car with a hole in the block about the size of a golf ball. Thanks for the suggestions, I’m gonna leave it alone as long as I’m getting factory numbers on mpg. I’m not convinced the hypothetical lean condition from a dirty oil filter killed the engine, or the previous owner was not monitoring oil level and burned out that way, it’s all speculation. My personal interest is not in max mpg but rather max engine longevity, btw the cough I described, basically ice startup stutter, likely will not present again. To early to tell though

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm the skeptical type that won't believe what a seller tells me unless there's proof the engine does in fact have 30k miles on it.

Besides that, congrats on the Prius. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome! A clogged air filter makes the fuel mixture too rich, as in too much fuel, not lean. The onboard electronics will try to compensate but they can only do so much. Excessive engine knocking from pre-ignition is the typical cause of a piston head burning through.

bisco likes this.
  6. Prius hacker

Prius hacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree Logically the dirty air filter should have created a more rich mixture and therefore higher fuel consumption per mile , that’s the mystery because mpg went down, How could a more restricted air flow increase mpg? My interest is engine longevity, hypothetically does a high mpg engine wear out faster than a lower mpg engine?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    clogged egr?

m.wynn likes this.
  8. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting this issue too. P0171 and P0420

9. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Three weeks is hardly enough time to create accurate mpg figures, and that variance seems fairly normal to me. Maybe it's just been windier since you installed the air filter.