1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by slortz, Jun 6, 2004.

1. slortz

slortz New Member

We've had our new Prius for about a month now. I picked the car but my wife is the one who gets to drive it. :( She gets about 44 mpg avg and does about half city and half hwy driving. I keep arguing with her :x that she isn't paying enough attention to how she is driving to get the best mpg out of the car. I proved the point after I drove the car to Vegas and back and averaged 52.0 mpg--travelling at an average speed of 70 mph! :D (323 miles one-way used up 6.2 gal.)
    So to those who aren't getting the expected mpg out of their cars yet it may have much to do with your style of driving. The driver input is also an important part of the synergy drive.

2. Marg

Marg New Member

Does your wife take a lot of short trips? If so, comparing her performance to a single long trip might not be useful. While driving style is certainly very important, in our experience, trip length seems to be the factor that most affects our stats. Many short trips = worsening numbers.
    If not, then driving style might well be the culprit.

If you are really arguing with your wife, as a survivor of past marital driving strife (thank goodness we've managed to resolve our differences), please forgive me for what I am about to say.... I realize that I am opening my big mouth when I really have no idea what your personal situation is. :oops:

Our loved ones are much, much more important and more precious than a few gallons of gas and the nifty piece of rolling metal we put them in. 44 miles per gallon is very good mileage. If a desire for even better numbers is resulting in arguments, then it might be advisable to step back, think if the big picture, give each other a hug, and let it go. :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :pukeleft: :pukeright:
    Typical of a woman to say! Heck this is great fodder for an arguement, may even be better than argueing over which way the toilet paper goes on the spool (though it is a tough one to beat). :wink:

Actually, I think you're right. 44mpg isn't bad, with time she'll probably do better, but the only result of saying "see what I can do" is going to be bad feelings. You can get your own Prius in a couple years and then you'll really have something to say "See, I told you so!"

4. slortz

slortz New Member

Yes, "argue" was too strong a word.

It was more of playful disagreement than a real argument. :mrgreen:
    My wife and I both love each other--and the car. Heck, she gets to drive the brand new tech-cool Prius while I'm still driving a beat up old '95 Dodge. It must be love!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Yes, "argue" was too strong a word.

Hope you didn't think any of us were implying that you didn't love your wife, that wasn't the point.

Still, if, by some freak of nature, somehow the engine on that '95 Dodge went bad--some neighborhood kid putting sugar in the fuel tank or something. Well then you'd be Forced to get a new car. And, well, it only makes sense to become a 2 Prius family....right?

Of course, if some sort of accident caused the loss insurance would come into play.... (Did I really type that?)