1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPH and KPH

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SPB-CH, Jan 3, 2020.

1. SPB-CH

SPB-CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    On a Mercedes that I travelled in recently was a great feature enabled though the menu system. As well as having the standard European Swiss instrumentation showing kilometers per hour, one of the smaller displays can show the miles per hour in front of the driver in the instrument binnacle. That's cool if one travels to the UK which my friend does.

Is this possible on the Prius 2020? Untitled.jpg

I find it would be very useful when travelling in the UK to avoid those irritating flashes(!)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible in North America but I can't remember if it's there in the UK version.

For us, use the steering wheel to navigate the 4.2" MID on the instrument panel.

1. Scroll left/right until you reach the "Settings" screen.
    2. Scroll up/down until you get to km/h MPH. Select
    3. Change to desired units. Press OK

For us, toggling units also changes the odometer, trip odometer, fuel consumption readouts and speedo between metric and imperial. The navigation instruction also changes from metric to imperial (e.g. "In 400 metres, turn right" to "In 400 yards, turn right")

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. SPB-CH

SPB-CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks for the reply. This sounds like it should be possible, but not at the same time as on the Mercedes. Not so convenient but nevertheless an excellent choice if available I would use it.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that all North American Prii of all generations, except for some early 2016 Liftbacks, can display speed in either system. Easily switchable, so this is sufficient to avoid those speed camera flashes.
    I thought that all mechanical analog speedometers in the U.S. have been showing both MPH and KM/H simultaneously since sometime about the late 1970s to early 1980s. All brands, all models. Only with the advent of digital displays did they start reverting to just one scale at a time.
    For those other measures beyond the speedo, is that a new feature (i.e. compared to Gen3), or is it a Canadian-specific feature? Our U.S. Gen3s convert only the speedo, nothing else.

5. SPB-CH

SPB-CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I will soon know what the Swiss models do. I have asked my garage and in a couple of weeks I will have a Gen 4 AWD.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember if we have any Swiss members here but @kithmo in the UK might be able to help.

kithmo likes this.
  7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    On UK 2016 Gen 4, go to settings menu on MFD, scroll down (or up) to kph to mph and select to change units.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. SPB-CH

SPB-CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks everyone for the answers! I will check this out as soon as I have my car. I also know that the stupid keyless entry can be switched off so that the fob only unlocks and locks the doors as in any previous 'normal' car I have ever owned.

Now I look forward to my Prius days.