1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPH average /

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Sep 10, 2012.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

That MPH average at the bottom right of the screen. Is that actually show the average miles per hour that you have driven? Mine is currently displaying 24. I NEVER drive that slowly, much less often enough to average out my usual 55-70 driving. What is the purpose of that display?

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Total miles divided by total time. Don't forget, you spend time at the stop lights too with the hybrid system on.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And you spend time accelerating and decelerating. Like Johnny said, you spend more time than you think sitting at stop lights and idling in your parking spot. Drive-throughs will really drop your average speed too. On average I expect average speed to be about 10-20mph slower than what I would normally consider my average driving speed. I.e. I drive at 60mph on the freeway for much of my commute yet my average speed for a tank is 43-47mph.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is very accurate. If you drive 55 MPH but make a lot of stops it will drastically lower the average. Here is an example of me driving 60 miles at 60 miles per hour. I reset the B trip gauge, stopped for gas and got on the highway then set cruise to 60MPH. This resulted in 59 MPH average. I bet if I went a few more miles it would have hit 60 MPH average.

[​IMG]