1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mr. Clean Autodry really really works!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by richard schumacher, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Saruman

Saruman New Member

The amount of dissolved minerals in water varies tremendously depending on source. I would guess spots come from calcium carbonates mostly.

The filter uses a resin to capture these ions as water flows thru, so it deionizes the water.

I still find the $4 Sheetz pressure jet drive thru near my house the best job for the money and time. No hose, no hassle, out in 5 min.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i like to wash my own car at the manual car wash.

my car only really gets dirty in certain spots. the under panel along the sides where the "pebble grain" is.

the rear ledge near the hatchback and the front end where most of the bug decals reside.

3. smtrader

smtrader Member

Starter kit at Target (SoCal) this week for $16...just bought one to try. Hope it works!

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried it and didn't like it. I found the rinse spray to be too small and way too time consuming. I take long enough washing my car feeling for any imperfection on the paint with my finger tips as i scrub it... i'm a freak.. i know.. i love my car... so to sit there with a small stream of water to rinse with drove me nuts. I like watching the car get soaked with a nice clear layer of water and then i can take out my shamies and dry every little piece of the car including wheels, rims, doorjams, mirrors, windows, wiper blades, and even under the license plates.... hey.. i like my car.. what can i say. :mrgreen:

5. smtrader

smtrader Member

Now that I've read all the posts and read the package, it seems to me the really unique thing about this system is the "filtered water". Not to have to dry the car IS a great thing.

You can pre-rinse, put soap on, and rinse again without the gadget (or use their soap). Then just use the filter to sheet off the rinse water. So other than no wax in the soap, am I missing anything??

So I spend $16 in order not to have to dry my car...and it's a gadget...love it!! :lol:

6. weids

weids New Member

I love it for the Prius - it works exactly as promised. I find it a bit inefficient for our Sienna, though, because it goes through too much soap and seems to use up the filter quickly. We have extremely hard water in our area, so I expected to go through filters faster than others.

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i just tried it and i was impressed. great for a quick wash. as noted above, the real 'difference' is the ionized water for a clean rinse, but it's also very convenient to just switch from clean rinse to soap rinse and back. saved me having to drag out the bucket, fill it, clean it after... just mr. clean and my long-handled soft bristle brush

8. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Yup. Mr. Clean works amazingly well. I washed my Black Prius and my sister's car with it and I noticed some interesting differences.

Her Camry is older and my Prius was band new, and since it's black it needed a wash the first week. Long story short, when I washed and rinsed hers, the water beaded up and slipped off like glass marbles. it was really amazing to watch. From the directions, that's how the product is supposed to work. Really surreal to see, I have never seen anything like that.

On my Prius, the water didn't bead at all. I am wondering if it had to do with the fact that my car was new...maybe it had wax on it or something.

Today I went to a touchless carwash today and I paid $7 for a spotfree touchless yet it left dirt and fingerprings (from me opening the hatchback). Mr. Clean is a world better than a touchless. My recommendation is for you consult your local auto supply store for the best rag, towel, shammy or whatever they recommend for the least abrasive item. In the Mr. Clean wash cycle, you should clean every square inch of your car with this item, otherwise it cleans so well, the spots you miss really show up.

A week and a half later my sister's Camry still looks good. Black is a hard color to keep looking clean. I wonder if I should wax?

9. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    it really does work. i use it when i'm in a hurry to wash my car.. no need to manually dry it! :wink: but i still do manual washing most of the time, just a hobby. just always check filter indicator or be aware of your usage, otherwise you'll end up with waterspots (happened to me once when i forgot to replace an overused filter)

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slumbum\";p=\"43243)</div>
    Yes. The rule is, if it's painted metal, wax it. (Wax, mind you, not polish.) Wax is waterproof and makes it easier to wash off dirt. The time to do it is now, immediately after a wash and dry, when your baby is pristine and you still have a new owner's fanatical energy to do a careful job.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is because her car is waxed.

That happened because your car is not waxed.

Yes. What are you waiting for?

12. smtrader

smtrader Member

I finally tried my Mr. Clean today....it didn't work for me! The ionized water DID NOT sheet off the water at all. Maybe I have a bad filter cartridge or maybe I had waxed my car previouisly, but the water beaded and just stayed in place and I ended up using towels to dry off the car...quite a bummer! I really wanted this gadget to work... :(

Can't recommend this. Will be returning it tomorrow!!

Brian

13. progex

progex New Member

Can anyone recommend good car wax on a budget?

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turtle Wax. That $10 can will last for years.