1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MS Windows for PRIUS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TJandGENESIS, Aug 18, 2005.

1. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Wow! Thanks for the linkage. I'll check it out and see what can be accomplished.

2. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This was a great link - too bad all of the links within the article don't lead to an SDK download. I'd like to find out what other cars might be supporting this right now.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right now it's just BMW as far as I know. Siemens/VDO did mention that they had signed a few more manufacturers up, which isn't hard to believe given the popularity of VDO equipment in european cars. I wonder if the new Jetta Nav system isn't Siemens based.

Everyone was *really* excited by this tho, and I think you get the idea by reading the document. The possibilities are really limitless with this.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Security through obscurity is no security at all. I'm sure you're well aware of that and hence the problems we currently have with even modern wireless devices.

When developers think they can come up with some obscure non-peer reviewed code for security, you get crackable encryption such as modern wireless and DVDs.

The best security is to use something that has been extensively attacked and PROVEN to be very resilient, instead of hiding and hoping nobody figures it out, because they will figure it out. It's a time proven lesson.

How about this story about the USS Yorktown running the new and awesome AEGIS system on Windows NT and what happened when AEGIS crashed:
    http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/19.88.html#subj1

I don't want that in my car.

other related stories:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/06/am...s_for_warships/
    http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=142572

Makes the 'stalling' problem look like tiny ants.

5. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree - I'd never do security through obscurity - I may have simplified my post a little to not bog down everyone here with super-techno-geeko stuff.

I'm very well versed in prime-number theory, encryption standards, symmetric and asymmetric encryption, etc. When I add functionality on top of any protocols, I combine multiple protocols and layer things - when it really came down to things, I probably wouldn't license my own security software because there's too much liability at hand; however, what I was shooting for in my above post is that propretary software is a good idea sometimes because you can license things for yourself.

So, at first, the proprietary route is great for Toyota on the Prius, eventually though, they shoudl open it up to get people more excited.

6. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

I feel at home here! :) I am also a software engineer. What would be cool is if toyota would write an emulator for us to use and we could write our own modules that we could plug into to test, before we go playing around with at 24+K car.

As far as Bluetooth goes, the Prius supports the Hands Free Profile and the OBEX Profile.
    Regards,
    Bit.

7. pcjr

pcjr New Member

Actually in the middle of a drive, my navigation system rebooted. Anyone ever experienced this before?

8. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I remember seeing an envolope icon on the MFD for the Japan promo Prius. I never knew if it was for email or what. It's called G-book and you can see it here.

It does music downloads, email, message boards, E-commerce, games, OnStar-like service, and reports any problems in the car. Damn! They get all the cool stuff.

Here is the English information page

You can also visit g-book.com

They have a Flash promo video with an American woman but they over-dub so I don't know what it says. Why would they do that? They must have made it with America in mind in the future.