1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MSNBC News

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hockeydad, Feb 21, 2010.

1. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While watching the Olympics, and between periods in the USA-Canada hockey game, they mentioned in their "news update", that Toyota executives "boasted" that they had negotiated a limted recall with the NHTSA by just doing the floor mats. From the report, it sounded like Toyota excetutives were bragging about the deal, and how it saved them millions of dollars.

IMO, this is not good PR.

2. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not good PR, however, I'm a bit skeptical (I know, as usual) about what the documents will say when published. "Boasted" doesn't really sound very neutral. From the Denver Post story it looks like Congressman Issa's office released the documents with comment.

As one of the posters noted, most recalls are negotiated between the government and the manufacturer, whether it's cars or baby strollers.

In any event, there are no perfect people, cars or companies. I wonder if the shredders are working at Ford and Audi. Ford is number two in "unintended acceleration" complaints, and NHTSA has just started looking at the Audis (again).

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is this really a PR issue or a case of the news site engaging in media hysteria and taking things out of context/exaggerating it?

4. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a positive note, USA over Canada 5-3 in the only sport that matters in the Canadian Olympics: HOCKEY.

What a game.

Thank you Canada for such a GREAT sport! We have learned well from the master.

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CNN too:

Toyota boasted of saving $100M on recall - Feb. 21, 2010

But...can someone explain how this is hysteria? I urge people to read the entire article (as I am expecting that the fanboys would claim my quotation below is biased).

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's CNN' story:

Toyota exec. boasts of saving $100M avoiding recall

The Toyota exec's statements sound like something I would've expected from GM or Ford 5-10 years ago. Also note the statement about avoiding a rust issue on Tacoma trucks.

Perhaps Toyota corporate has started down the same path to failure as GM. A pitty.

7. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Best I can tell, these were American Toyota executives. The Peter Principle works for Toyota too?

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My point is, was the "document" released as part of PR on Toyota's behalf or the media digging up dirt which can be found in virtually all companies.

9. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Muckraking" by the press is bad because what exactly? I'm not claiming this is like a "smoking gun" but why is avoiding safety investigations considered a "win"? Honestly, would you trust everything Toyota PR decides to send out?

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How bad will this get? The Toyota dealers I know well are scared to death. How a company could unravel so quickly........It was one hell of a hockey game though!

1 person likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Shredders? They should have enough experience with past problems to now be proficient at making sure such comments are not recorded in any manner that is 'discoverable.' Toyota seems to have less experience in such matters.

Doing work for an unrelated company that does have significant unwanted litigation experience, I have been admonished once for ordinary engineering comments that should have been transmitted verbally, not electronically.

12. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This was released by Congressman Issa's office as a part of his campaign to make sure that every Toyota is perfectly safe (ain't possible but it sounds good). I'm guessing the "journalists" didn't read the documents all that thoroughly. I could be wrong...

13. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Articles and news report on TV say that it's a PowerPoint presentation? Pot, Kettle, wha???

14. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was kidding. I understand the need for "transparency" but I fear it can stifle creativity (just a general comment).

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is what the CNN article said in part:

Toyota exec. boasts of saving $100M avoiding recall

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A Toyota executive boasted
    of the compny saving $100 million by negotiating a limited recall for
    Toyota Camry and Lexus ES cars over a problem that could cause
    unintended acceleration.

"In an internal Toyota (TM) document used as part of a company
    presentation on its government relations, dated July 6, 2009, the
    phrase "Negotiated 'equipment' recall on Camry/ES re: [sudden
    acceleration], saved $100 million+ with no defect found" is among
    a bullet-pointed list of 'wins.'
    "
    [Emphasis added.]

How a responsible reporter and editorial staff can get from "is among
    a bullet-pointed list of 'wins,'" to boasting is beyond me. A Kiplinger-
    style bullet-pointed list is an abbreviated factual statement.

So, where is the boasting so boldly proclaimed in the headline?

The jump is a Monumental FAIL for any claims CNN might have to
    objectivity or neutrality for this article.

The jump is a WIN for hysteria mongers, purveyors of FUD,
    journalistic irresponsibility, and any claim CNN has to offering
    considered, objective, insightful reporting on this matter.

You would think that CNN was above this kind of misrepresentation
    and sensationalism.

There is no smoking gun here.
    The smoke is rolling off the reporters pants.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is one of those stories where the truth no longer matters. The media steamroller has Toyota in its sights. At least it is no longer GM in the media sights. Do any of you remember this. Talk about fraud...

Dateline NBC aired an investigative report on Tuesday, November 17th, 1992, titled “Waiting to Explode.” The 60 minute program was about General Motors pickup trucks allegedly exploding upon impact during accidents due to the poor design of fuel tanks. Dateline's film showed a sample of a low speed accident with the fuel tank exploding. In reality, Dateline NBC producers had rigged the truck’s fuel tank with remotely controlled explosives. The program did not disclose the fact that the accident was staged. GM investigators studied the film, and discovered that smoke actually came out of the fuel tank 6 frames before impact. GM subsequently filed an anti-defamation/libel lawsuit against NBC after conducting an extensive investigation. On Monday, February 8, 1993 GM conducted a highly publicized point-by-point rebuttal in the Product Exhibit Hall of the General Motors Building in Detroit that lasted nearly two hours after announcing the lawsuit. [2] The lawsuit was settled the same week by NBC, and Jane Pauley read a 3 minute 30 second on-air apology to viewers.

17. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's a statement you can't disagree with. Mob mentality at its worst. I remember 60 Minutes and the rigged sudden acceleration issue for Audis, as well as the exploding pickup. And the exploding Pintos, the unsafe at any speed Corvair (the oft-quoted Joan Claybrook works with Ralph Nader), the Chrysler minivans, etc etc.

There was an article today talking about how bad it is for politicians to fudge the facts. It's just as bad for the media to do so.

18. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Our local NBC affiliate presented us with a great public interest story when the pedal recall was announced of a woman crying on camera at the Toyota dealer because she was so worried that Toyota was trying to kill her children. I kid you not.

19. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you got caught of murder, you wouldn't expected be able to get away by comparing your case with the "Simpson" case! Let try some other excuses.

20. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    RE:

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A Toyota executive boasted
    of the compny saving $100 million by negotiating a limited recall for
    Toyota Camry and Lexus ES cars over a problem that could cause
    unintended acceleration.

"In an internal Toyota (TM) document used as part of a company
    presentation on its government relations, dated July 6, 2009, the
    phrase "Negotiated 'equipment' recall on Camry/ES re: [sudden
    acceleration], saved $100 million+ with no defect found" is among
    a bullet-pointed list of 'wins.'"

Yes much of the media is having a field day with this and in many cases a feeding frenzy.

BUT - if the document is true (and there is nothing in the media or from Toyota to dispute it) I would not want to be in Mr Toyoda's shoes this week. Or their corporate lawyers for pending suits in the accelerator issue. I think many of us that were following these cases questioned the "floor mat fix". Seems as if the document will become a smoking gun and potentially hurt the company's reputation further. I feel sorry for dealers and reps who may be left sweeping up the mess.

And NHTSA will now be very forceful with manufacturers now that they may have been caught in incompetence, payoffs, or sleeping on the watch.