1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mt. St. Helens Blows

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hdrygas, Mar 8, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Big blow of Mount St. Helens and ash fall alert heading Northeast over highway 12. 3 semiology sensors lost. News at 11:00

2. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

Tell us how you really feel about Mt. St. Helens! :lol:

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Holy s***!

I hope it isn't as bad as the last time.

4. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

Do you have a link?

Beth

5. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
  6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I clearly remember the first big bang years ago. I was camping in the sothern interior and there was some road building going on and thought " man why are the blowing up dynamite at this time of the morning? " ya right. about 15 minutes later there was a news broadcast that it had blown the side off it. We were lucky here on the coast, didn't get any ash but eastern Washington and BC got it, some big time. Where were you at that time Henry

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes!

I may complain about freezing my b**** off here in winter, and in summer the Mosquitoes that eat you alive, but at least the earth never moves here. Not sure if I could deal with that.

8. xevious

xevious New Member

Well, the earth didn't really move in the southern California sense. Unless, of course, you were standing on the patch that moved quite dramatically.

:)

9. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Great Pictures the ash fall. The total amount was not great but Eastern Washington got some ash fall and air traffic got rerouted. Last time she blew I was back in Ohio for a wedding. Missed the whole thing. :cry: You could hear it in Olympia. Living with active Volcanos is interesting.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"70820)</div>
    aw what's a little shaking and rumbling, it's like morning traffic in TO.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"71007)</div>
    Frank:

Well, when you put it *that* way ... good point!

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"70936)</div>
    Heard what in Olympia? The 1980 blast or the recent ones?

I was in Olympia on May 18, 1980 for a brother’s wedding the day before.
    (Our family joke is, "The Gods were not pleased.")

I was “walking†around Black Lake with my wedding party girlfriend at the time of the eruption. The earth did move! But there was no sound. Friends at the University of Washington, on Whidbey Island, and Vancouver, BC all reported they were jolted awake with what they said sounded like cannon fire. I heard nothing, but saw ripples on the lake and felt the earth move. (I am a biological seismograph.)

The night before we had planned to drive down to Silver Lake and spend the day watching the mountain. SOOOOO glad we didn’t! Instead we watched from the Oly Airport with a great view down the runway.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Call me crazy, but I think you WA guys are lucky to be living in the shadow of Mt. St. Helens. I find this stuff fascinating beyond description. How I wish I could be there to watch it breathe.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wolfy:

Oh sure, it *is* fascinating. Really really.

But I can satisfy my curiosity by flicking on the tube to watch it. If it blows and the live camera feed is replaced by snow, all I have to do is say - and I'll quote myself here - "hmph!" and grab the clicker to find something else fascinating on.

I'm not really what you'd call an Adrenaline Junkie. My idea of excitement is giving the cat a bath.

16. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jayman, I wouldn't want to be on the crater rim, but I sure would love to see the mountain doing its thing in person. I find it extremely fascinating. It's along the same lines of visitng Yellowstone. That is the crater to a supervolcano.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wolfy:

That's why I've never been to Yellowstone and never will go either. I thought there was no such thing as an "extinct" volcano. Maybe "sleeping" is more like it.

I also find it *very* fascinating, which is why I always look forward to those sort of shows on Discovery, TLC, Travel, and Civilization Channel.

Much like how I get a hoot out of those two guys on Mythbusters. There is no way in h*** I'd even *think* of doing those stunts, but they're fun to watch from the relative safety of my plasma tube.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"71570)</div>
    You don't know what you are denying yourself by avoiding Yellowstone. The place is utterly spectacular. I would highly recommend that you set aside your fear of the place, and spend a week there. My guess is that you'll become another Yellowstone addict. Words really do not describe the place, and pictures cannot ever do it justice.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wolfman\";p=\"71204)</div>
    actually it is pretty cool. if you ever get a chance to be in this area, it is still a worthwhile trip up to the mountain to see all the exhibits and info on the 1980 eruption. even 25 years after the fact, it is still awe-inspiring. you cant imagine what its like until you stand on a bluff overlooking a river valley that is 2 miles wide now that was only a few hundred feet wide before the eruption. it basically completely redesigned the landscape. it completely wiped a lake off the map while creating two new ones from the massive sudden snow pack melt that occured. it took over 2000 log trucks 13 years working 7 days a week to salvage the fallen timber there.

although most dont know it, that helped to sustain the sawmills in the region for several years. without that timber. most would have gone out of business 10 years sooner.

and besides, being in Olympia is the perfect viewpoint... we are upwind.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mt. St. Hellens is on my trip iteneary. I'm just not sure when I'm going to be able to pull it off yet.