1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Much better mileage than expected

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Steve Ball, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Steve Ball

Steve Ball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    First two weeks in to my new 2021 AWD-e LE, and with exactly the same journey as my 2012 Gen III, I'm constantly getting 55mpg, vs. 44mph in the older Prius. This is 90% highway, with quite a few hills, and around 70mph speed.

This morning, I was a bit more tired and more sleepy and drove around 65 - and got 58mpg.

In either case, isn't the AWD's highway supposed to be 48mpg, and averaging around 50mph???

I'm very pleasantly surprised with this: honestly, if I could get the advertised 48mpg I'd be happy (this would be a 10% improvement over my Gen III) but getting 55mpg+ is excellent!

douglasjre and dig4dirt like this.
  2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your new Prius and mpg increase!

Many variables go into mpg, and perhaps if you are "light" on the AC and pedal etc you can achieve it with ease.
    Passengers, speed, cold starts/warm ups all go into variables.

Many people easily achieve EPA numbers and few will have a great number higher.

Also, summer mpg number are often much higher than winter (depending on location NY being one!)
    due to the warm up routine that Prius needs.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wait until you see how high your mpgs can go when you drive slower. My 22 mile commute to work is 65 mpg. Going home from work its 75-90 mpg.

4. Steve Ball

Steve Ball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Unfortunately, @CooCooCaChoo, my commute is 63 miles so I don't want to drive so much slower :). I'm very pleased at 44 mpg with my Gen III, super pleased at 50mpg (what I expected in my Gen IV), and apoplectically content with the 55, 58 - and this morning, 60.9mpg!

This said, I may try to slow down just that teeny weeny bit more as it'd be great just for the heck of it to manage that 63 miles in just one gallon... can I bear being in the car for 2 more minutes?? ;-)

douglasjre and dig4dirt like this.
  5. tai_prius05

tai_prius05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Congratulations on getting great mileage - I too am experiencing this.....

I have a 2019 AWDe... I am currently getting 52.3 MPG in summer and 50 in winter and live in NE (mountain region)... I drove to Florida and got a respectable 50 average most of way... In Florida (flat surface), was getting 70 MPG in Eco mode. The car drove great in snow (in storms; about 4 inches on ground multiple times over steep mountains and through town)...

I have found that using Sport mode for me is best. I still get great mileage and traction in mountainous region.. I had a 2005 and got 50 MPG for first 8 years - and then in 48 MPG range until she finally went after 244,000 miles.... Loved the 2005 car.... Hence buying again....

best of luck to you!!!. Enjoy great mileage and a fun car!

6. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ^^^ Wow, almost a quarter million miles! Congrats!

7. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That's great mileage! My 21 Prius AWD is getting just under 65 mpg....got 2,400 miles on her already. Our 17 Prius LE is only in the lower 50's so I've been doing some services to see if we can get that back up. (New engine air filter, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, ran a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner in her tank) We'll see if that helps...might just be the traction batteries starting to lose power. (I've heard they can loose 2-3% every year.)

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I am very pleased with mine. My commute would be intolerable to most at 140 miles round trip. Monday through Friday. I'm more than half way through my manufacturers 3/36 warranty already. Good thing I purchased extended. Anyway, the route has a 2200 foot elevation gain, so I regularly see 48-52 mpg on the way down, and, get this, 76-82 mpg on the way back. My mpg running total since purchase sits at 58.9 mpg, which includes some trips around town sometimes. Very pleased. (y)

9. PtPri

PtPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Luxury
    My 2016 has 55k miles (89k kms), and sat for more than 2 months at a dealership lot, in the sun. Even the tires were deflated.
    Recent battery test indicated over 97% battery.
    IMG_20210814_233311.jpg IMG_20210814_233343.jpg

10. CooCooCaChoo

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ^^^ Nice. NiMH or Lithium though?

11. PtPri

PtPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius