1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"muddy" radio sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Graeme, Jan 4, 2005.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We are talking JBL system, correct? What do you mean under EQ? Crossover? Tone controls? Or real EQ? I thought JBL system does not have EQ unit...

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Tone controls are considered a simple EQ. It's a 3 band EQ in this case, and it is handled by the amp, not the header. It is 'told' how to set the volume, base, mid, treble, fader, and balance via the AVC network.

Crossover is the means of shifting sound from one speaker to another at different frequencies. The simplest crossover is a high pass capacitor allowing only the highs to get to the tweeter. Many simple systems, especially 2 way, do it with capacitors. Better systems use a combination of coils and capacitors, or electronics, to allow only the frequencies intended for that speaker, including midrange, woofers, and subs.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sooo.. we could just taped an EQ into the lines before they hit the amp? hmm... we would still have to figure out the whole wiring.. er... we would have to learn. I'm sure some people on here know it well. Maybe i should just buy my 10 dollar pass to the prius tech page.

I'm really curious if the EQ before the amp would do any good. Maybe replace the speakers with Boss or Alpine and re amp the system.

Ya know, someone aught to sale a system setup for the prius on here. It would be known to work.. just needs to be installed. Package deal. If i had a set up, i would sale it. why not?

4. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I replaced stock speakers with a/d/s. Very good sound. I also recommend Diamond.

So with JBL system install becomes complex. Head unit sends signals to the amp telling it how to set tone controls. I am curious if it does the same for the volume control. If yes, then you can't just replace the amp since you will then lose volume control.

Wiring diagram would really help.

5. SynergyGuy

SynergyGuy New Member

So, DanMan32, if the amp is the one that actually sets those parameters via the AVC protocol, would that mean that having the JBL system installed will maybe allow us to keep the controls in the steering wheel while feeding the amp with different low level signals (R/L) coming from an external head unit that reads, for instance, MP3 files. How does that sound? Actually, you may be able to mix both, the audio signal coming from the factory head unit and some external source before it hits the amp, that way you don't loose anything but gain an external input. I may be missing something here, but it sounds feasible.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Someome has already done this:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.ph.../fpart/all/vc/1

I'm thinking of going that route, but I'm still waiting for coastal dave's kit...

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was completely lost in the forum

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a guide on how to take apart the dash.. that's helpful.. and the wire descriptions of power, volume, etc. but.. no system. *shrug*

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm, that might work, for volume control anyway. Rest is controlling the header: input and track/channel selection. The MFD would still control the bass, mids, treble, fade and balance for the external device. You would an external switch to change from the header to the external input; you wouldn't be able to do that from the steering wheel.