1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mudguards/Splashguards

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Sunfire4jc, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

Hello all,

I Travel alot on the freeway, And I know that mudguards help your car from being sandblasted by gravel or what not. I was wondering if i should get them?

If so, where would be a good place to order from online?

Let me know. Thanks

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe I can't even type, but I can read, so I didn't edit...

3. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

They are easy to install. They come with instructions, however there is a post here on PC which provides very detailed instructions. They recommend using an extra screw I would use that extra screw too, I did.

There are other posts which talk about this, try a search.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    btw, for those with the mudguards, do wash them thoroughly from time to time. My commute to school has lotsa tiny tiny pebbles (read: sand) from all the construction and they do get stuck btwn the mudguard and the body. Give it a good rinse and see how brown the water gets and how much sand accumulates on the ground below.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    These were the very first mod i considered doing, and in fact was the first one i did. I'm very glad I put 'em on too. I live on a fairly short stretch of dirt road, but the mud flaps are really good in protecting the sides of the car even when on pavement. The install was very simple, and the most time consuming part was having to remove the rear tires to do the back, and even that only took about 15 minutes.

So, long and short of it is, yes, I'd do it again and I recommend it, as Bill did to me, as one of the first mods to consider in order to preserve the beauty and condition of my car. So that is my recommendation to you as well. B)

6. auart

auart Junior Member

Mudguards work great. EASY to install in a few minutes. Look good, and give the car a little sport look if you ask me.
    Its the darned Body shop idiots that will screw up your paint job!

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Comment: Good.

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At first I actually bought them for aesthetic purposes, but after doing some driving around gravel they've paid for themselves by preventing chips. Gas mileage is minimal, i still get about 50mpg.

Installation is a breeze. You just need a screwdriver or power drill. Great mod for less than $60.

Edit regarding clearance : They do not touch or scratch the ground even with 4 people in the car. They DO touch those concrete "parking blocks" at the end of each parking spot but so does the bottom of your front bumper. Anyway, if you're touching those blocks you have gone too far anyway.

9. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]331057[/snapback]</div>
    How are you hitting the splashguard on these concrete blocks? :eek: They are behind the front wheel. If you are hitting the rear ones on the blocks than you have backed a little too far into the spot

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 11 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]331057[/snapback]</div>
    If anybody notices a difference in gas mileage after installing these, then a fresh wax job should get you right back to where you used to be.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 11 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]331518[/snapback]</div>
    Probably the rear.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 11 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]331541[/snapback]</div>

lol. Does that apply to me? I last waxed the car on 4th Sept.

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 11 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]331518[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, backing into spaces.