1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Muffler Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cdgreg, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I've known for awhile that the muffler on my '07 Prius has a hole in it, but at this point I am getting a bit more proficient with my DIY skills and the leak is getting louder. So, I am ready to tackle the muffler replacement. I bought a clean used OEM muffler from a Texas eBay scrapper and a new OEM gasket. I also have an impact wrench, sockets, a wire brush, muffler cement, and anti seize.

I have watched this video quite a few times (not a Prius, but seems similar)

Question:
    I bought a couple 5/16th 1.5" and 2" bolts (not sure best length), 6 washers, and both hex nuts and lock nuts. I am a super noob, do I use normal hex nuts and then torque them to a certain specification or do you crank a lock nut on?

Anything else I am missing here?:
    1. Jack back corner up and remove rear passenger tire
    2. Remove 2 nuts/bolts that connect to the catalytic converter pipe
    3. Disconnect from 2 hangers
    4. Clean cat converter pipe flange with wire brush and clean "new" pipe flange
    5. Connect "new" muffler to 2 hangers
    6. Bolt new muffler to cat converter pipe flange with new gasket, muffler cement, anti seize 2 bolts, washers, nuts.
    7. Start car, ensure no more exhaust leak, put tire back on, lower car, take it for a drive or let it run so the exhaust heats up and hardens the cement
    Or anything else I should do while doing this job?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    looks like you got it figured out. but, I would soak the old hardware with penetrating oil every day until I was ready to do the job, so that hopefully you don't have to break the old hardware, and might be able to re-use it since its got little springs on the special oem bolts iirc. I don't remember if the nuts are welded to the flange; if they are then you definitely don't want to damage the oem hardware, nor can you replace them with some crap from home depot.

Cdgreg likes this.
  3. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, I did not realize they were the springy bolts, I will swing by the dealership and buy the appropriate replacement hardware.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tightening torque on the bolts w/compression springs is 32 ft.-lb. Two needed where the catalytic converter bolts to the exhaust manifold; and two which attach the rear of the catalytic converter assembly to the muffler at the rear of the car. It sounds like you are changing only the muffler, not the long pipe with the two catalytic converters and resonator. I also recommend that you use the correct hardware only. Also, you should take a good look at the rubber hanger holding the muffler to the body, and it might be easier to cut the old rubber hanger off and use a new rubber hanger when installing the replacement muffler, rather than try to reuse the original rubber hanger.

m.wynn and Cdgreg like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any muffler shop will do that in 15 minutes for $40.

Cdgreg likes this.
  6. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you @69shovlhed , I stopped by the dealership and bought 2x #22 and #23 shown below. Patrick, you are correct, I am only replacing the muffler, not the long pipe with the two cats and resonator. I am honestly a bit confused because they did not sell me a nut as well. Is the catalytic converter assembly "rear" flange threaded so these bolts thread right in, or do I need to buy some separate nuts to tighten on the other side? If they thread right in, how do they not vibrate themselves loose over time...I am going to go try to look at it physically...

@edthefox5 - That is honestly probably money well spent, in my case I am doing this more for the learning something new challenge/aspect. That is definitely my fall back plan though!

IMG_8929.JPG

[​IMG]

Raytheeagle, edthefox5 and m.wynn like this.
  7. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Was sort of able to take a look at the car, but definitely tough with the tire on. The spring side of the bolt looks pretty straight forward. Still can't tell if there is a nut on the back of it or that's just threaded through?

IMG_8931.JPG
    IMG_8936.JPG

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mufflers suck. Evey-thing is rusted on tight. You usually need a torch to get most of it off. Muffler shop will cut that pos off in about 29 seconds and weld up a new one. I wouldn't put on a used muffler just go buy an aftermarket muffler. If you have to do it yourself make sure you wear eye protection and have a good set of leather gloves. Its the only thing I won't diy on a car....for good reason your about to learn.

9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like an aftermarket muffler, which being in the rust belt, explains your situation. The OEM mufflers, actually the whole system, are made from some variety of stainless steel. Therefore, your replacement from a southern vehicle with take-off parts is an excellent idea!

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the nuts are made on the flange. and that's why you need to spray penetrating oil on the nuts every day for a week or more so that hopefully, you won't need an acetylene torch to heat them up so you don't break the old bolts off and have to drill and tap the nuts. pb blaster is a very good choice for penetrating oil, but even wd40 is better than nothing.

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think map gas burns hot enough to make the nuts glow if the bolts are totally seized. I bet there's youtube vids on how to remove seized nuts with a torch.