1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi-Display intermittent.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BN11, Oct 14, 2019.

1. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi fellow Prius folks.

I'm new to this forum but have read and relied upon your advice for years. Thank you.

My 2009 Prius (with Nav and backup camera) has been having the following issue:

Multi-Display randomly goes black. Sometimes stays black, sometimes displays "Program cannot be read. Please consult to a dealer." Sometimes (mostly mornings it seems) it will function properly, but if I turn the car off and then on again, I'll often get the black screen and/or message.

Backup camera does not work when the screen goes black, neither do any of the buttons or touch screen.

What I've done:

1. Took it to one dealer who said the radio needed to be replaced. (Radio works fine other than not being able to see saved stations on the display). They want to replace the entire unit (radio + mutli-display) for about $2200. Yikes.

2. I replaced the 12v battery this past weekend with a "Yellow Top". It was still the original from 2009 (I know, I know . . .).

3. I replaced the Nav DVD with the most recent update this past weekend as well.

4. I removed the Navigation ECU and cleaned it up, then reset it by opening it and pushing the black button for several seconds. (After these 4 steps, it is still working intermittently, though did not work at all yesterday.)

5. I dropped her at another dealer this morning and what do you know, the damned screen has been working fine all day [enter gif of Michigan Frog]! They are keeping it overnight to see if it does anything tomorrow.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or otherwise? Thanks in advance.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Remove the MFD, get the part number from the sticker on back. Go on ebay and buy another one. There are also plenty of places that offer rebuild services.

It's a very common failure and can be swapped in 10 minutes or less.

If you're getting hit for diagnostic fees, you're going to end up paying more in fees than it would cost to get a replacement.

SFO and BN11 like this.
  3. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. I was afraid of this but watched a youtube video where a gal switched hers out so I'm pretty confident I can do it.

My other thought was that perhaps the Navigation ECU might not be reading properly?

4. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again. Just ordered the part on ebay last night. If anyone comes across this post and is looking to do the replacement themselves, here's a helpful youtube video I found that I'll be referring to:

5. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, just to follow up. I ordered the part, replaced it tonight, and it still does not work. :^(

I'm beyond bummed.

When I took it to the dealer, they didn't even look at it even though they kept my car overnight. I could tell because the time was still correct in the display. Going to look into a mechanic that specializes in hybrids. Will update this post when I learn anything new in hopes it will help someone else in the same situation.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does the new one behave in the exact same manner?

7. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it was. Fixed now! Full story to follow.

bisco likes this.
  8. BN11

BN11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SOLVED!

First, I must recommend, if you live in the LA or Ventura County areas of California to please check out Warner Auto Center Hybrid Shop in Canoga Park on Topanga Canyon Blvd.

These guys are incredible! They had the issue diagnosed within 10 minutes of my arrival and fixed 30 minutes after that. They really know hybrids and after this past situation, I will never return to the dealer.

The head unit (radio/nav) was bad. They had another one. Replaced it with a lifetime guarantee. $774 (parts + labor) vs. the $2200 the dealer was going to charge. :)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, congrats! (y)

(i wish we had a place where service recommendations could be stored:()

10. Silver_Prius_2006

Silver_Prius_2006 Junior Member

So what was the problem ultimately? Besides just being a "bad" part? Was the unit at the end of it's useful life? Was there a short in the wiring? Was the display shot? Etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's usually a bad part on the board, or solder joint. sometimes the screen goes bad.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First time I've ever heard of the radio going bad and causing the MFD to go black...…..anyone else ever run into this?