1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi-Function display dim

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by barnabas, Jan 5, 2016.

1. barnabas

barnabas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does any one know if Toyota has a test to determine when they consider the fluorescent display to have failed. My 2010 model (only 70K miles) is so dim now that it is almost unreadable in the day time if the lights are on. The dimer rheostat is all the way for the max. Any change from max the display can't be seen. The display has been getting worse every year. The dealer says he hears a lot of complaints, but it is normal.

Thanks in advance

Barnabas.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't call a lot of complaints 'normal'. maybe you can pinpoint the problem and find a used replacement part. could just be the dimmer, who knows? but i would try another dealer. all the best!(y)

CPate2020 likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If the fluorescent display needs replacement, let me tell you that it is a cumbersome part to be replace.
    Please, contact Toyota care for help, this is not a part that usually will fail at 4 years old and it is a requirement for the vehicle because it has the odometer required by some laws.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, when you say the dimmer is all the way to max, is it rotated all the way up, then rotated some more, until the wheel clicks? That is truly maximum brightness, and can be seen easily during the day, even while wearing sunglasses.

Simply rotating the dimmer wheel up till it "stops" isn't the maximum setting. You can still rotate it further, past a click point.

#4 xliderider, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016