1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi Function Display Graphics Update?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rouge Hybrid, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Rouge Hybrid

Rouge Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2005 Prius and I noticed something odd, from 2004 to 2005 I noticed that the graphical design for the User interface was changed in the later years of the generation 2 Prius.

For Example
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do know that the changes between the model year systems where aa higher resolution MFD Display and And the switch from an analog-based system to Digital, and that there was a recall that did involve an update to the prior year's Systems due to what I can recall an engine issue. Does anyone know if it is possible to have the sysem updated to match the UI of the late 2nd gen models?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it is a change with model years, as my owner's manual refers to both; it calls the first one above Type 1 and the second Type 2. I had a 2006 with Type 2 and my current 2006 has Type 1. I think it is selected by the region dealers when they are picking the model packages.

As to whether you can retrofit, I have no idea.

3. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you notice that the type 2 have 7 keyes .. so the car have more optiones ..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Rouge Hybrid

Rouge Hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, but on the unit with 4 buttons from the later years have that mfd as well for example it wouldn't make sense for apple to have ios10 on half of the iPhone 6's and ios 11 on the other half.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you right about that? I don't know, but a quick check of the MFD part numbers that go with different trim/option levels could be made at, for example, villagetoyotaparts.com....

-Chap

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Type 1" (older design) was standard on 2004 and 2005 vehicles.

On 2006-2009, they were standard on vehicles without a backup camera.

Those with a backup camera got the higher resolution "Type 2" screen (bottom photo) with the updated graphics. That's the difference between the two.

As for upgrading, I'm not sure. Could be software only or you could require both software and hardware upgrade. I don't know the wiring scheme behind the MFD.

Both 2004-2005 and 2006-2009 can have both types of frames (4 button or 7 button). The 7 button means the car has navigation

KellyC and Abdulaziz_Barham like this.