1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MultiFunction Display failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaviDino, Jun 20, 2020.

1. DaviDino

DaviDino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems as if many 2nd Generation Prius owners are getting intermittent and total loss of their MultiFunction Display (MFD) units. Mine started failing at around 80K miles, but would sometimes work when weather was near freezing.

Some forums have reports that the MFD problem is due to connector on printed circuit board that is repairable for owners who are patient and careful.
    Has anyone actually repaired a MFD?
    If so, how long has it remained working?
    Any adverse side effects from the repair?
    Can you recommend this approach to other owners?

THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO ASSIST!!!!!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the connector issue was with the 2004-2005 models, but AutoBeYours says that doesn't apply to newer models and he replaces capacitors, similar to the combo meter. The connector issue causes slow responses and strange screen effects, but the more modern ones simply seem to fail. My only problem is figuring out what needs fixing on it. I'm one of those who suddenly had a failure as well on Wednesday.

SFO likes this.
  4. Eric 2018

Eric 2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    2004 Prius. MFD screen has gone completely black and is unresponsive to touch. I'm looking for a repair solution in Canada. Autobeyours looks like a great outfit, but they don't ship outside of the USA. Does anyone know of a Canadian outfit that does this work? Thanks!

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A