1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Codes: C1249, C1380, P0441, P0455

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IndyPriusX2, Jan 16, 2022.

1. IndyPriusX2

IndyPriusX2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

I've got a 2013 v with about 80K miles on it, purchased used late year at 70K miles. Have not had any issues until this past month:

• Check engine light came on middle of last month; attempted to check the code with an old ELM327 OBD dongle, but couldn't get it to work. I have a carista OBD dongle, so I ended up using that for everything after. Carista showed P0441 and P0445. I tightened the gas cap, cleared the code, and it hasn't been back.

• 3 weeks ago I did something which I now know is stupid. My wife's 2012 prius 12 v died, so I ended up jumping it twice with my v. Went straight battery to battery, as that was the only way I could get her prius to start. Yes, I am an idiot. I will be purchasing a jump starter for future issues.

• About a week after jumping my wife's car, I started getting three warning lights at the same time- ABS, Slip indicator, and brake system warning light. No issues with v's actual braking or performance. Brake light works fine. Carista showed codes C1249 and C1380

• I tried clearing the code, but carista did not allow it. Warning lights went off on their own after a day and stayed off for a few days, came back on, then went off again. The next time they came on, I disconnected the negative cable for about 30 seconds before reconnecting. When I reconnected, the brake lights strobed quickly, then returned to normal functionality after I hit the brake pedal once.

• A few days later, the same three warning lights came back on with the same codes (C1249 and C1380). Carista allowed me to clear C1249 but couldn't do C1380. All three arning lights stayed on for a day, then went off again on their own.

• A few more days later the slip indicator light came on, but would go off anytime I hit the brakes. Then would go back on if brake pedal was released. Carista showed code C1380, and was unable to clear. Brake lights still functioned fine, as did the brakes.

• Slip indicator stayed on for a few days, then went off on it's own.

Unrelated things that may help rule other issues out: Hybrid battery/ regen brakes seems to be charging fine this entire time, at least according to dash indicators. Carista diagnostics shows 12v battery at 14.5 volts. When I changed the oil a few thousand miles ago, I noticed the inverter coolant was a tad low so I topped that off. When I bought this car used last year, it had a few open recalls which my local toyota dealer took care of. I put a trailer hitch on the v right after I bought it, which I use for a bike rack. No wiring harness added for the hitch.

I figure that perhaps my old ELM327 dongle screwed something up, maybe the Carista dongle did, or more likely me using the v to jump another car caused something to go haywire.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still using the v as my daily driver as vehicle performance does not seem to be effected, and the warning lights go off on their own. Again, thanks for making it this far, and thanks for any help.