1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple codes CEL after head gasket change 2013

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by whazzup, May 28, 2022.

1. whazzup

whazzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After changing my head gasket using the video on gasketmasters, I am getting multiple codes. First one was the camshaft sensor and crank position sensor. Cleared those and the motor seem to run fine. I've since put 30 miles on it and the CEL was coming off and on during those miles, however the motor seemed to run fine. After the 30 miles, I am getting P0032, P0036, P00351, 352, 353, 354. The motor started misfiring and hesitating. I can hear a hissing or vacuum noise somewhere near the intake but can't locate it. My initial fear was I that I was going to leave a hose off or electrical disconnector.

I'm not losing coolant like I was before so I don't think its the head gasket. Also, I never got a CEL when my head gasket was leaking. At first, I thought the chain skipped a link somehow but I never got the camshaft sensor error after the first time.

I know this is my first post and I should just pull the intake off and look but I'm so frustrated with this whole job that I was looking for an easy way out. Thanks in advance.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Too many zeros in that second string of codes?

3. whazzup

whazzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't put the 2 zeros for each consecutive ignition coil misfires.
    I put it in maintenance mode and after running for 30 seconds, motor died. Started right back up, then died and had hybrid system failure. Cleared the codes and took it for a drive. Ran fine until CEL came back on with P0016 and P0037. Haven't seen the P0016 since I first started it after head gasket replacement.
    If the timing was off and a jumped a tooth on the sprocket, wouldn't the motor run rough. In power mode, the car took off like it used to. I'm 99% sure I plugged in every connector and hose. The head gasket replacement was pretty straight forward so I'm not sure why I'm getting all these error codes.

4. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a guess but you might check the vacuum hose that connects to the intake next to the throttle body and goes up to the vacuum switching valve under the EGR valve. It's easy to forget to reattach.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. whazzup

whazzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so the 2 ground wires on the valve cover were loose. Motor seems to run fine now except for the P0016 code that keeps coming up at startup. I clear it and will drive 40 miles on the freeway without it coming back. Start it and within the first 2 mins or so the CEL comes on with the same code. I visually checked the cam sensor and it seems fine. Only thing now is that I have to put the original ECU in and see if it comes back. I bought an ECU for $20 on Ebay.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The code is for the cam timing being incorrect (cam to crank correlation). How did you release the timing chain tensioner after installing the front cover? If you just started the engine, then it's very common for the chain to jump a tooth before the tensioner unlocks and takes up the slack. What are long term and short term fuel trim values at warm idle and while cruising?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. whazzup

whazzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I turned the engine in reverse just a hair to release the tensioner. I have yet to take the valve cover off and harmonic balancer to verify timing marks are aligned. I'm not sure what you mean by the fuel trim values. Can I realign the timing chain without removing the whole timing cover? I thought if I remove the tensioner I can align the crank sprocket first and then the cams.
    On a side note, the 2 grounds on the wiring harness was loose as well. The used ECU I purchased gave me the same codes. Since tightening all the grounds, I only get the cam sensor error P0016, P0016 P. I clear the code and it doesnt come back until I turn off the engine and restart. Motor seems to lack a little power so I think the timing is off, probably retarded a little. I put the original ECU in and the car won't run. I get all the above CEL codes again with hybrid system failure. I think I burned that ECU because of the loose grounds, at least that is what I think. So as of now, I have the used ECU and can drive the vehicle with the P0016 codes.
    I will be take the valve cover and harmonic balancer out next week to verify timing..
    Is there another method in releasing the tensioner?

Thanks

8. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm interested in your findings.,

Have you found a solution to you P0016 issues?

9. whazzup

whazzup New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the timing chain had skipped a tooth. No more issues now for the last 3000 miles.

ASRDogman likes this.