1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Codes/ Triangle.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Misty Prius, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Misty Prius

Misty Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Recently had the coil pack replaced after being towed home. Drove a few months and now the red triangle and the car w exclamation point light comes on. Will not start unless I disconnect and reconnect the 12 v battery. Will drive as normal for a couple of miles and then all lights on again. 270k miles. Had the hybrid battery replaced approx 100,000 miles ago. Throwing codes p1121, P0AA6, C1377, and B1271. Different dealer mechanics have given me different answers. Not sure what to believe. Don’t want to put a lot of money in it. When I get her home I notice the coolant fluid is low. However ...Not sure if it is enough to cause all this trouble. Anyone had similar issues or have suggestions ? 2005 Prius

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Since P0AA6 has associated subcodes (INFs), which device are you using to retrieve the above DTCs (OBD2 codes) with?

It sounds like you have a HV leak (DTC P0AA6), was the replaced HV battery a used/refurb or something new?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which coolant tank? Unless it was extremely low, probably not significant.

SFO is directing your attention to the important code.

SFO likes this.
  4. Misty Prius

Misty Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I’m not sure what device was used to retrieve codes. The HV battery was new from the dealership.

Just the regular coolant.

#4 Misty Prius, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were the codes read at a dealership? if so, they would also have read the sub codes

SFO likes this.
  6. Misty Prius

Misty Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The sub code of P0446 was 526.
    Just found out that the 12 v battery is dead. Could that cause the triangle and these codes to show up ?

bisco likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery is completely dead as in 0 V then the ECUs will reset, but if by "completely dead" you mean the 12 V voltage was 11.x V or less then you will need to have the battery charged and load tested to see whether it is still usable. I would disconnect the 12 V from the system to ensure the car's ECUs are reset and then start with a fresh scan if any dash lights come back.

As far as I can see P0446 does not have a subcode. The Subcode 526 usually goes with P0AA6 which you reported in your OP. There is a second subcode for this which is more significant in the range 611 - 614. If you can get that (usually on the second cycling of the car to READY) that will be more helpful.

If you have a genuine P1121, C1377, P0446, and P0AA6 they will be back some sooner and some later.

P1121 indicates trouble setting the position of the coolant control valve (CCV), which could be the connectors, the wiring between the CCV and the ECM, or the CCV itself. If it is the CCV, get a genuine OEM CCV to replace it.

The C1377 has subcodes which can narrow down the troubleshooting for that.

If any or all of theses codes should reappear, you can diagnose all them properly by referring to the Repair Manual (more info).

#7 dolj, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    SFO likes this.