1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Dashboard Lights on, Still Runs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Abbe, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Abbe

Abbe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My gen 2 recently started having multiple dashboard lights come on while driving on the freeway (never city). At one point it completely died and the repair shop said it was the glass mat battery and replaced it. Now the symbols are coming on again and I don’t know what’s going on with it. The symbols that come on are the red triangle with the exclamation, VSC, check engine, and ((!)). Anyone experience this before? Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have warning lights on because one or more of the Electronic Control Units (ecu or "computer") in your car has detected some kind of fault and has stored a code.

So you would need to have the car scanned to determine what codes are in what ecu. Most scantools are not fully "prius compatible" and likely won't be able to talk to all the 15+ ecu's on this hybrid. (ie, they might only get some codes from some ecu's, or might say "no codes found" because there weren't any in the few ecu's it could check).

If you take it to a shop, you want a report showing results for every ecu with all codes. There are options if you want to be able to scan the car yourself. One is to get a copy of Techstream (Toyota's pc based diagnostic software and a connector cable for the diagnostic OBD2 port)- use the search function to learn about that.

Another option is to get an app and bluetooth adapter (to connect to the car). At the top of the Gen2 Technical discussion forum is a sticky thread reviewing several apps.

Lastly, some ecu's will use the warning light to flash the code if you jumper 2 specific pins on the OBD2 port (put in a jumper wire, turn the car ON, count the blinks). Then search for that code in the service manual. You can find details by searching "flash codes".

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Abbe

Abbe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Turns out it’s the hybrid coolant pump that needs replacing. I was quoted $1100 from my repair shop which seems ridiculously high! I’m waiting to hear back from Toyota to see what they’d charge.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, that's an easy job, and shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, when you have warning lights being displayed on the dash, that means you will have OBD2 codes being stored in on-board computers. One of the options not mentioned above, is visiting various auto parts chain stores, most will offer a free scan using a scanning device that may not be fully hybrid compatible, best to visit all of the locations and record all of the retrieved codes, then post them here for additional guidance. Though I don't use my toyota dealership for service, they offer free OBD2 scans and multi-point inspections.

Going forward, consider an independent hybrid mechanic (or a mechanic that isn't hybrid centric), as your existing mechanic may not be capable (sold you a 12v battery when you had DTC P0A93), or cost effective (1200 for front bearings, and 1100 for an inverter coolant pump).

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

6. Abbe

Abbe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just picked it up and the brake system warning light is on. They read the code and said it’s a sensor and not to worry about it. I’m assuming that’s bad advice and I should have it checked out. Not going to take it to this repair shop again.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good move

8. Jmotts

Jmotts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had this problem too but with P0AA6-526 code instead.