1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple errors after headlight replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Moxford, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Moxford

Moxford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2005 Prius. After changing left side headlight assy, power-up showed the following errors:

Brake
    ABS
    Red triangle of death
    PS - on multifunction display
    Skid/Traction on multifunction display

After 12V battery disconnect/reconnect, errors disappeared for one power cycle then returned.

Car starts and runs fine except braking is "unusual", with a different feel, like no regen working. High pitch warning tone is active. Dealer could not pinpoint problem, suspected either gateway or skid control ECUs. I dont want to put 2-3K into a car that's not worth more than that to "maybe" fix the problem. I drove the car home.

Any ideas out there?

Mike.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The car threw trouble codes/lights and the dealer should have read them. What are they?

3. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How old is your 12v battery?

4. Moxford

Moxford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Battery at least 6 yrs old. I'll be testing it tomorrow. Codes are C1241, C1310, and C1313. Will let you know how the battery test comes out....

Bought another Prius (v), just need to fix the old one to sell it...hey, it's got brand new headlights!

Thanks, all!

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These codes do point to a HV battery problem but not that your HV battery is "going" or has "gone bad".

C1313 is the main code and points to a problem with the main relay 2.

C1313 = Open in Main Relay 2 Circuit

The other two codes are broadcast codes from the HV battery ECU to other ECUs (e. g. the ABS ECU) to say "I have a problem do not interact with me for the moment". Notably, with these two codes you will see that the regen is turned off.

Hope that helps.

6. Moxford

Moxford New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After sitting two weeks, 12v battery voltage was 12.19v. Started car to verify condition, battery voltage was 13.8v. Turned off everything and disconnected the two power connectors on top of the battery and connected battery charger. Allowed battery voltage to come up to over 13v then reconnected the two power connectors and started the car with the charger still connected. No change in results.

Noticed that brake actuator buzzed and pushed the brake pedal up anytime the pedal was pressed, whether power was turned on or not. Don't remember it doing that before.

Talked to dealer tech who worked on the car; he said there was no data comm shown on the gateway ecu. He checked power and ground to it and rang out some other wiring, finding no problems. He wanted to change the gateway module then try the skid control if the gateway didn't fix it.

Could the trouble codes be caused by the lack of comm through the gateway ecu? Could the lack of comm cause relays not to set properly in this case, causing a valid code? What are the chances that a replacement gateway ecu from ebay could fix this? It'd be worth the $30 to try it, I think....