1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple issues and fixing each on a 15yr old 204450 miles gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA, Aug 22, 2020.

1. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First issue p0420 - started 2 years ago in winter, was on/off initially and clearing it wouldn't bring it back in 3 days but later on its constant till today.
    Second issue HV battery - finally died on me a month ago and I installed those new cylindrical cells and all is well.
    Third issue - engine oil consumption started about 6 months ago, car would warn potential problem when driving through long curves and found it was low oil finally and I have been topping off a little every 2k miles and changing oil every 3 to 4k miles and I am not sure if this was preceding cat failure.

So with my current financial situation I have to keep this car for at least 3 to 5 years so purchased the new battery and also recently purchased aftermarket direct fit walker 16337 ultra epa cat and plan to get it installed for about $400 including the parts and labor by a mechanic friend, my job involves driving 150 to 200 miles a day with multiple stops and my question is with the car being this old will these repairs last longer (cause only 2yr/25k miles warranty on HV battery), not sure how long these cats last and how much will it cost for good fix for oil consumption, any ideas appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. The cat is emissions related, car will run even if that's not working properly.
    2. New HV battery should be trouble free for a few years beyond the warranty period
    3. Oil burning issue doesn't seem really bad if you're topping off a "little" every 2k miles. I think if you keep topping off, you shouldn't run into any immediate failures.

There are other areas where the car can fail at high mileage. But those 3 that you mentioned shouldn't be an issue for your targeted time frame.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The only real alternative is installing a used low miles engine and there's a lot of labor costs too unless DIY. I'd estimate $3k for a shop to do it. Also @ 15 years old, the a/c system is on borrowed time. Same for the brake accumulator.

Some gen 2 owners are spending the equivalent of new car payments in repair+upkeep costs.

GOOD LUCK!

4. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you

5. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do I need to look for because so far I am not having any issues with AC or brakes and I plan to keep this car for only 3 or 4 years if it will last, it currently valued at $1950 so I don't want to spend more than $500 on top of that value to keep this car running and thank you.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Issues with the a/c are typical of any 15 year old car as it just begins to either not work well or not at all from either leaks ($$) or parts failures ($$$). The brake pump begins to maker more louder and more frequent pumping sounds due to internal leaks not holding pressure. Some report loud barking noises or failures of the pump (no brake assist; trouble lights, etc). Neither are remotely close to $500 fixes for non-DIY'ers.

GOOD LUCK!

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your buddy replaces the cat, keep in mind the old original Toyota ones are going for $1000 on ebay, just for the precious metal scrap.

audiodave likes this.
  8. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Crazy! Pays for most of a replacement in ridiculous California. Screenshot_20200822-104516.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

fotomoto likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The cool part is that I have 4 sitting on the floor of the shop and three more installed in our family cars that I haven't swapped out yet. Doing preemptive swap-outs as time permits. Then I won't care if someone jacks up a car and tries to steal it. Once they look at it, will be very easy to recognize it's aftermarket since its clamped.

audiodave likes this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Finally finished all my swaps yesterday. The OEM converters sold within an hour of listing them on ebay.

audiodave likes this.