1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JonG, Apr 6, 2020.

1. JonG

JonG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! I have a gen 3 2013 Prius. Around 160k miles

Yesterday after about 40 minutes of city driving, the Prius started flashing “Check Hybrid System Stop the Vehicle in a Safe Place” I also noticed that every other warning light was on, from oil to tire pressure and others.

I pulled over, tried turning on and off a few times with no help. I got it towed home and started googling. I saw people say to check the 12v, I still have the original in it. I don’t have a tester but I tried jumping it for a few minutes and someone suggested to disconnect the hybrid battery for a few minutes from the back orange pull. I realize now that it reset the codes doing that.

I drove it for a few minutes in my neighborhood and the warning hasn’t popped back up.

Today I started researching some more and I saw to check the inverter coolant pump. I opened mine up and it seems to be working, there’s not a ton of movement but there is obvious movement in it. I let the car sit in the driveway on for a few minutes. The hybrid battery charged up a little over half way on its own with the help of the ICE. No warning came back on.

Should I check anything else? would it be safe to try to drive it around again to try to get a code? Or is it most likely just the 12v and jumping it helped it a little bit?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Need new battery 12v

3. JonG

JonG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! What's the determining factor that it is the 12?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a free load test at an auto parts store. if it is good, drive it until the lights come back on. then have the trouble codes read by a dealer, someone with a prius scanner, or get your own

5. JonG

JonG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer confirmed it needed a new battery. I had to get one there since my local auto zone didnt carry it and battery plus was out of stock with a long wait time. The dealership also ran a "electrical test" and said everything came back good after the battery was installed.

Today: a few weeks after the battery was installed the warning(s) all came back on after the car was on for about a minute. I've done a little amount of driving, maybe 200 miles since the battery was replaced.

Any thoughts on what to check? I'm going to get it towed in the morning to the dealership as its home right now, but would like to have a few ideas of what it could be to make sure im not being taken advantage of haha.

6. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a recall on your car, specifically for the "Intelligent Power Module?" Earlier years had a recall, due, essentially, to the IPM burning out.

Unfortunately, without knowing the car's error codes, we can only speculate on the problem.

#6 pjksr02, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. JonG

JonG New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just heard back, the battery is going bad. looking at local places that dont charge a dealer price. Is it save to drive temporarily with the bad battery?

8. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Didn't you just get a new battery (12-Volt)?

Is your hybrid battery going bad?

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want to suggest pulling CEL codes to help narrow where to begin troubleshooting but it's too late for that.

pjksr02 likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never too late really ... the dealer ought to pull them, and if the customer makes sure to get them, they can be posted here, and we'll know.

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really, it's too late. OP already changed the battery and it went out again. Most people prefer to not look at codes and throw random parts at it, that's the plan in motion now.