1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Munro on EV analysis

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 13, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: EV Conference - Revealing Secrets of Tesla Model 3, BMW i3 and Chevy Bolt Tickets, Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM | Eventbrite

Calling all automotive engineers looking for objective technical information about today’s leading electric vehicles (EVs). Munro & Associates, world leaders in the Lean Design® methodology, teardown benchmarking and design optimization, is hosting an Electric Vehicle Technical Briefing on Friday, June 21 at its world headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. During the event, the Munro team will present an engineering comparison of four leading EVs: the Tesla Model 3; the BMW i3, the Chevy Bolt; and the Jaguar I-PACE.
    . . .

I've got the interest and the funds but time could be a problem. Would there be anyone interested (i.e., @ericbecky or @jdenenberg, e.t.c.) and available to attend this Auburn Hills event?

For me, it is 698 miles, 14 hours, 10 min, driving with 7 stops and overnight at a Marriott. I would have to bring wife and her dogs or arrange for a house sitter.

Bob Wilson

kevin.c likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,
    Great of you to think of me. It's be a long day's drive but possible. But I think I'll have to give it a pass. My hybrid repair business keeps me way too busy and I already have my time off scheduled.

Again, I truly appreciate the offer. Sounds like a fascinating time.

austingreen likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If we can't find anyone else, I've got it mapped out:
    [​IMG]
    • Conference fee, $200
    • Leave Thursday 6-7 AM, arrive 8:30-9:30 PM (13h 32m)
    • 696 mi expected cost $40 each way based on previous trips (*), $80 total
    • SuperCharger stops, charging time, and arrival
      • Bowling Green, 30 min
      • Louisville, 30 min
      • Cincinnati, 30 min
      • Lima, 30 min
      • Toledo, 30 min
      • arrive Auburn Hills
    • car rental and parking, $0
    • hotel room $75
    • AutoPilot is my co-pilot
    • return Friday evening
      • Tesla napping at the chargers
      • arrive home Saturday morning
    This approach is CHEAP compared to the least expensive airfare. It is also GOOD because I get to take what I want, flexible schedule, and eat where I want. Best of all, I avoid the purgatory of TSA, airports, and airliners.

Bob Wilson

* - Trips to Dallas and Coffeyville came in at $30-40 each way. Likely to see only $80 total charging fees.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve got my ticket and room reserved. If anyone wants a conference report, PM me and we can do a deal.

Bob Wilson

kevin.c likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: EV Conference - Revealing Secrets of Tesla Model 3, BMW i3 and Chevy Bolt

Calling all automotive engineers looking for objective technical information about today’s leading electric vehicles (EVs). Munro & Associates, world leaders in the Lean Design® methodology, teardown benchmarking and design optimization, is hosting an Electric Vehicle Technical Briefing on Friday, June 21 at its world headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. During the event, the Munro team will present an engineering comparison of four leading EVs: the Tesla Model 3; the BMW i3, the Chevy Bolt; and the Jaguar I-PACE.
    The tour of the Munro Benchmarking Investigation, Innovation & Implementation Center will provide an Engineering deep dive of the most advanced electric vehicles and technologies in the market today. Munro will also provide an in-depth view into how you can analyze products and perform your own reengineering.

The main focus will be on the EV “Big 3” Motors, Batteries and Electronics; however, there will be a new technology review with insight into the engineering and designs of some of the other innovative vehicles on the road today. The Tesla 3 will be compared to the BMW i3 and the Chevy Bolt.

Unlike many “Power Point Conferences” the parts of all three of the vehicles will be laid out on tables and Munro “A Frames” with knowledgeable Munro Engineers to provide a detailed description of the key take-ways from each part of the car and answer questions.

For the Jaguar I-PACE, there will be a hoist review to discuss the I-PACE and its electric motor.

EXTRA! Munro has also invited an independent investigator from Tesloop who will share important aspects of EVs that are rarely discussed; life expectancy and maintenance of an EV. Tesloop has ALL the documentation on the durability of the Tesla product.

This is a must attend event for all EV Engineers!
    $199 which includes:

• An overview of: motors, batteries, and electronics the “EV Big 3”
    • A technology review with insight into the engineering and designs of some of the other innovative vehicles on the road today
    • A tour of Munro’s Benchmarking Investigation, Innovation & Implementation Center
    • The opportunity to participate in an engineering deep dive of today’s most advanced EVs and technologies
    • An in-depth view into how Munro analyzes products and performs reverse engineering.
    Timing, Location & Agenda:
    Friday, June 21st, 2019
    Munro & Associates
    1140 Centre Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326
    8:30 to 9:00. Registration, Coffee & Donuts
    9:00 to 9:15 Welcome and logistics
    9:15 to 9:45 Who is Munro? How do we get our Numbers?
    9:45 to 10:15 Battery Debrief
    10:15 to 10:45 Electronics Debrief
    10:45 to 11:15 Electric Motor Debrief
    11:15 to 12:00 Long Range Tesla Data; Full data on Tesla vehicles some with 380,000 MILES! BTW No Maintenance Issues!!!
    12:00 to 13:00 Lunch
    13:00 to 15:30 Group Breakout, On-The-Floor, Around The Parts Review;
    I- PACE Hoist Review, Side-By-Side Discussions At 5 Teardown Stations To Discuss All The Vehicle Components
    15:30 to 16:30 Social Hour, Tours of Other Vehicles at Munro and Networking

If you have specific interest or questions, post them here and I'll take them with me to the conference.

Bob Wilson

KrPtNk and Tideland Prius like this.