1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Musings on politics

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by geologyrox, Jun 13, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 13 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]270846[/snapback]</div>
    I would vote for you- I think it's better for our elected officials to get their prison terms out of the way BEFORE being elected to office. :)
    Some of your positions are extreme, even to me :) but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have people with positions such as yours in office to balance the other side.
    But, of course there any many ways to effect the process besides running for office.

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Consider my platform: Outlaw tobacco and alcohol; minimum wage of $25 per hour, and maximum wage of $100,000 per year; shut down all the TV stations and all commercial radio stations; prohibit advertising other than simple announcements of the price of goods; prohibit spending any money on election campaigns but give every qualified candidate equal time to speak on the radio, and equal space in the newspapers; all government contractors required to sell to the government at cost; phase-out of gasoline powered cars in 8 years, and phase-out of all cars within the city limits in 3 years... I could go on, but you get the idea. Even PC's resident liberals would not vote for me. Oh, yes, I would outlaw the commercial selling of all junk foods, defined as any food whose dominant ingredients are salt, fat, or sugar. (It would not be illegal to possess them or to make your own and eat it, but it would be illegal to sell it.) I would nationalize all the energy companies and switch to sustainable energy. I would nationalize the assets of any person whose net worth is over a million dollars (except my immediate family and personal friends)... but, sorry, i got carried away again..."

1. Outlaw tobacco and alcohol. Agree with the former, they tried the latter with very poor results. And does that mean I can't have a glass of Chateau neuf du Pape with my meal? You lost my vote.
    2. Minumum wage of $25.00 per hour. Agreed, except that on Long Island you need double that to survive.
    3. Maximum wage of $100,000 per year. Is that per person, or per household?
    4. Shut down TV stations - very good, except HBO, of course. Don't touch my Deadwood. Or Family Guy.No need to shut down PBS - it died a long time ago.
    5. Prohibit advertising - agree. And could we do something about the religious nuts on the street with megaphones?
    6. Candidates have equal time in media - But that would mean the end of the oligarchy as we know it.
    7. Government contractors sell to government at cost. Fine, with the usual bribes, of course.
    8. Phase out gas powered cars. Include leaf blowers and you got my vote.
    9. Ban junk foods. Great, can you add junk mail?
    10. Nationalize energy companies. While were at it, can we start selling oil in renminbis? Or has that already happened?
    11. Switch to sustainable energy. All for it. Don't forget fusion. Hot fusion, not to be confused with cold fusion.
    12. Nationalize assest of any person with net worth over 1 million. Fine, but what would the government do with thousands of ranch houses on Long Island?

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 15 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]271597[/snapback]</div>
    Not so daniel, not so....

:lol:

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

I know! The ranch houses could be turned into detention camps. Alternatively, they could be turned into country club prisons for ex CEOs. (There are a lot of golf courses around)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 15 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]271682[/snapback]</div>
    3. That's per worker. But with stiff prison sentences for people who abuse the law by putting a spouse or a kid on the payroll just to increase the family income. The paid person must be actually doing a necessary job.
    5. The nuts can shout all they want, but no megaphones. Also no boom boxes or car stereos over some reasonable decibel limit.
    8. leafblowers. You got it.
    9. No ban on junk mail, but it's gotta pay first class rates, and any person can opt out of receiving mail addressed to "occcupant" or "resident" or any other such junk-mail term, and a "Do Not Mail" list would work like the Do Not Call list, for junk mailers who address junk mail by name.
    11. Fusion is a boondoggle. It is NOT clean. It produces high-level and low-level radioactive waste. We don't need it. There's planty of clean energy for the taking.

"IF NOMINATED I WILL NOT RUN. IF ELECTED I WILL NOT SERVE. A VOTE FOR ME IS A VOTE FOR LESS GOVERNMENT."

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 15 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]271899[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that what all the right-wingers say they want? Daniel, you just might have a shot at this!

DANIEL FOR PRESIDENT 2008!

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Geology, you sound just like me...which means there are probably more of us than we think. Reasonable compromises will not occur until the national discourse moves from hatred. There are good, reasonable politicians out there, but why would the media listen to them....arguing creates viewers.

My philosophy is this...WE (the royal we) have the gov't we deserve...in fact...ALL societies have the gov'ts they allow and deserve.

ALL power resides within the collective of the people governed.