1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must Admit Solar Ventilated Roof is Very Cool

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, May 25, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pun intended ? ...

Rented Pri 4 w/ solar n got to see solar roof in action a couple times. Very cool to get in car and hear fan running & realize geez, it's so much cooler than it would be without it. Not really hot day here, windy, but sunny. Cool stuff the solar roof is.

JMD likes this.
  2. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    but dat price tag... :X

3. CygnusX-1

CygnusX-1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Plus it keeps the storage temp of the battery cooler so it extends the life of the battery. I've always wondered if that was the real reason for solar ventilation.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Pricey but a nice luxury feature - never having to step into a stinkin' hot car again.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've gotten so used to it that it shocks me when I get into our other car after it's been in the sun.

6. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it's great and it does keep the inside cooler

7. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I really like the solar fan. And I like the moon roof a lot too. I got the package purely by luck of the draw. I was working two dealerships on similar Prii and I got a deal on the one with the solar package because I was insisting that factory floor mats be included and that one had been packaged with them. The deal was favorable and the dealership was closer to me besides. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Neat idea. Any other manufacturer have anything similar? Not on my list of desired options.

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice feature, expensive option though

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The option is worth it to me. I only wish my PIP had it. :(

11. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is a pricey package but the sunroof makes the car seem bigger inside and with all the tech options it is like a game

12. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Temperature wise it makes the cabin nicer when you get in and on the outside the car looks cool

Attached Files:

13. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

The feature was first introduced to automotives twenty-one years ago with the 1992 Mazda 929: The solar ventilation system used solar cells embedded in the glass sunroof to power fans to remove hot air from inside the car when parked.

Mazda noted the car parked in direct sun for two hours could have interior temperatures of 167 degrees. By activating its own cooling fans the 929 reduced that inside temperature to 140 degrees. The 27-degree reduction made it easier for the car's air conditioning to reach the desired inside temperature more quickly, cutting the time it would take to bring interior temperatures down to 77 degrees by 30 percent compared with a car without solar ventilation.

When solar sensors detected that the inside didn't need cooling, the system automatically diverted the power generated by the solar cells to recharge the battery whenever the car was parked in sunlight. (By comparison, the Prius solar roof does not power batteries). Clearly there was insufficient current for the solar cells to bring a dead battery to life. Mazda said it would take the system five days to fully recharge the battery starting at 70 percent charge. Ideal to keep your battery topped up though when parked at the airport for the week.

cwerdna likes this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will admit I kind of regret not going a "little more in" and upgrading to a Prius 3 or maybe even a 4, and getting the solar roof.

But locally the Prius 2's were being sold at IMO such a good price, and besides the sunroof and solar option, there really isn't much up the ladder on a Prius that I really, really desire, or that I think I couldn't add aftermarket. So I went with the "bargain".

Maybe someday I'll have a vehicle with a sunroof again. I love them...even without a cool solar powered ventilation system attached.

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sure, the solar roof is a cool gadget, but is it cost-effective? I suspect the initial price of the solar roof is substantially greater than the price of the gas used to run the A/C for the life of a Prius. Every Prius already comes equipped with two really cool gadgets; power windows and A/C. Roll all four windows down with the A/C in Auto mode, for the first two minutes of driving, when you get into a hot Prius, and you'll realize that the solar roof is an unnecessary, but cool, gadget.

16. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

The solar roof is a non-essential luxury and luxuries aren't cost effective by their definition. I bought a solar roof model used because I enjoy a sunroof, use it every day, and I didn't have to pay for it (the first owner did).

Your cool-down methodology works just fine when there isn't female hair around to get messed up, although the solar roof is actually useful to help prevent the interior from becoming heat-soaked.

17. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I't a must have in Florida. I have it in both of my Prius'. Love it. Plus I think the car looks real nice with the black glass roof. Especially on my Blizzard Pearl one.

18. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We are in complete agreement. :)

19. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius isn't "cost effective" but it is energy effective. Solar roof contributes to it in a very minor way. The real bonus is the car looks much cooler with the blacked out roof and with the sun roof open.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What if you just want to get back in the hot car, sit for a while for whatever reason? I don't know how cool the solar roof can keep the car in Florida or Arizona sun (probably not too cool), but on a mild sunny day, the cabin was surprisingly cool.

Of note, don't do this: Last week took off with cold engine, had to go through heavy downtown traffic, warm out, turned A/C on, no Auto, 4 bars fan. Stopped in traffic, engine off w/ A/C. MPGs dropped a bunch, then gas engine came on and run for quite a while. it's windows down, no A/C in that situation. Solar roof doesn't contribute while underway, correct?