1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must Admit Solar Ventilated Roof is Very Cool

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, May 25, 2013.

1. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In answer to your first question, you can get back in your car and sit in it but it will definitely be warmer than outdoors. You'll be cooler if you roll down the windows but you have to turn the car on to roll down the windows which means that you'll then have to wait another 10 minutes before the roof panel will start the blower again.

In answer to your other question, the solar roof doesn't contribute anything when the car is on or even when it's off until it's been off for 10 minutes or more.

cycledrum likes this.
  2. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is rare for me not to be in covered parking, and since I don't have the leather interior, I didn't feel it was something that I needed. So far, it wasn't a bad decision not to get one with that. Maybe I will when the next version comes out, but even with as much as I drive all over the country, and live in the South where we have our share of heat, I haven't regretted it one bit yet. It is one of those fun gadgets though.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention Remote A/C. Yes there's limited range but if you can start it inside the office before you head out, the interior is very tolerable when you get in.

4. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife drives our Passat with sunroof now. I don't miss it. I just use a sunshade and crack the windows, plus I'm cold natured and heat doesn't bother me that much.

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as the cooling, meh. I do appreciate that when I go nap in my car during lunch breaks, that the solar fans make it a little more comfortable, and works even with the windows down. I also like the fact that when washing/waxing/detailing, I only have to do 2 thin strips of the roof and just windex the glass (y) . I hate doing roofs on cars because it takes so much time and work to reach over.

Whether people should pay the price for the feature really depends on how much they value a sunroof and slightly cooler cabin. I really wanted a sunroof, so it was worth it to me. But then again I was looking at the total price paid for the car, not the $3k option add on. My total price paid was less than the sticker price for a Three w/o the solar option. I don't know if I would have bought it if it was any higher.

6. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    only when u are parked with car off

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I really wanted a Prius III for the backup camera but all save one at the dealer had the $1500 solar roof, so I bought a II. Should have gone to another dealer. Too expensive an accessory.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

8. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hot seats.

/firstworldproblems

JohnL11935 likes this.