1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Must Have" accesories?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by qdllc, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a M12x1.25 thread, this one will fit:

2. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, thank you!!
    I will be getting these.. any opinion on the temp... i went with 5K (Xentec) in my f150 and liked it buy i kind of might like a little more blue with the 6K... but i know you loose lumens the higher in temp you go.

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RE: Horn upgrades

I'm on the fence on these. Doppler is a pain. I remember an ambulance coming up behind me in heavy freeway traffic. I could hear the siren, but not see the ambulance. When it screamed past me on the shoulder, I nearly wet myself.

No horn is as loud as a siren, so I wonder what it matters at those speeds.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with the 4.3K temp as it's closest to the OEM Prius LED headlights.
    I really don't want any blue in my headlight beams- and the 55w 4.3K bulbs are very bright.

5. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Right on.. yeah 4.3-5K produce the most light when a person starts getting into 6,8,10,12K you start to loose the amount of light that is produced.
    There is only a 200lu difference between 5K and 6K.. so that is why i was looking to see if anyone has used the 6K and how the brightness was.
    thanks for the info!

6. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2013 Prius horn sounds more like the 2nd sound in this video (not the first). This was purchased brand new so not sure why this is the case unless Toyota changed it.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe they did. My OEM Camry horns sound like the FIAMMS in the video as well.

SCH-I535

8. Prius Envy

Prius Envy F U R Y

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I can understand not wanting any "blue" for aesthetic reasons, there was a very good article I came across explaining how a true HID bulb was better than the HID-look bulbs many were buying.

Trying to distill it all down to something simple, HIDs look blue because they are more true-to-life in representing the light that comes from the sun (what we see in the sky is filtered through the atmosphere). So, while they look "bluish," HIDs have the full spectrum of light we need to see better.

In contrast, HID-style OEM bulbs are tinted to give that HID-look, but even if the bulb puts out more lumins, by using a tint the bulb eliminates a good bit of the YELLOW light which is what enables you to see effectively at night and in poor weather. If you've tried the fake HID bulbs, they may test as "brighter" than OEM, but they work like dog poop at night and in poor weather compared to OEM.

HIDs work better all the way around. They give not only more lumins, but it's full-spectrum light. So, you might have a blue look to the light, but it's unadulterated, and you have a lot more YELLOW light reflecting back to you at night and in poor weather.

Once I learned this, I threw away my HID-look bulbs and either went back to the OEM bulbs or invested in a true HID system. If you want the most cost-effective way to improve on OEM without going to HID, but buy the brightest rated OEM bulbs on the market (keep in mind that brighter bulb usually means shorter life...so don't be surprised if the 2x expensive bulb seems to burn out in 12-24 months).

Also, if you have that haze thing going on with your headlamps...invest the $40 or less and an afternoon on that 3M restoration kit. It really works and it can take a headlamp barely putting out enough lumins to pass state inspection and restore it back to being brand new. Believe me, I tested it with the guy who did my truck inspection, and the testing equipment doesn't lie. It doesn't take much haze to kill the lumins output of your headlamp...regardless of the bulb system you use.

10. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm debating whether to get HID headlights or not and can't decide. One thing that is holding me back is the way they install them seems like a bit of a kluge, they just plastic cable tie the wiring and mount the ballast in the engine bay arbitrarily, it's not a very factory type install. I don't know how reliable it is?

11. Prius Envy

Prius Envy F U R Y

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's a good HID system, it's going to be reliable. The problem is that ANY HID system has components that need to be mounted somewhere. Even a Toyota OEM system has to mount the components somewhere.

It helps to ask others who have done it how they did it. Makes things a lot easier because you learn from others' mistakes and successes.

I have HID high and low beam on my motorcycle. Mounting the hardware was a challenge, but once it was done, I've not had a problem with them.

13. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Even in the video above, he uses sticky tape to mount the ballast. I foresee that lasting a year or two before it falls off.

14. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i wish i took a pic of how i mounted my HID ballast in my truck...
    I drilled four small holes in the plastic fan shroud, one one each side of the ballast and used zip ties around the ballast to hold in place. One left to right and one from top to bottom. Worked perfect, didnt move a inch and never had a problem.
    When i put the HIDs in my Prius all take some pics of how i mount the ballast.
    Happy modding!

15. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Speaking of HIDs, is it true I should only consider 55w ones? If I do it, I would probably go with 6000k.

16. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I strongly recommend a pair of Fiamm Highway Blasters - one for Low and one for High amplitude (they are marked L and H on their horn bodies). There are several HOW TO threads here.

The Freeway Blaster bodies are shaped like coiled trumpets, unlike the factory OEM horn which is a round "pancake" and thus simply cannot propagate sound waves as far.

For about $25 or so you get horns that'll penetrate that encroaching semi's cab and get the attention of the driver who's jammin' on the radio. It only takes one occurrence...

17. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I got some HIDs installed yesterday by a local place that specializes in them. Quite a nice upgrade, and I got 6000K and the light is really nice, not too blue. They are 35w ones so use less power than stock, yet still definitely brighter than stock. He said I would not really see that much difference with 55w and with 55w people may complain that they are too bright as well.

My fear above sorta came true though because one of the ballasts boxes (driver's side) is just sort of sitting there in the engine bay. It seems secure though since they cable tied up all the wiring. The ballast is just hanging there.

The passenger side one he was able to wedge in between the coolant tank so that one seems more secure.

18. sushiDot

sushiDot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dash mat:

I recommend getting the "suede" style dashmat. I have not noticed much in the way of reflection however it really looks a lot better than the traditional dashmat, which looks almost like a 70's style shag/rug.

The sales guy i called on dashmat.com actually referred me to a third party to buy it cheaper from another vendor/distributors of theirs. His recommendation was the suede although he said the dashmat sells the most.

The suede mat looks awesome....

19. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want Euro mudguards and Clazzio leather seats. Can't afford them right now though. :(