1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must-have items/accessories every Prius owner should have

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by typesomethingwitty, Mar 27, 2013.

1. typesomethingwitty

typesomethingwitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, everyone! After lots of research, planning and saving, I became the owner of a gently-used 2011 Prius II this week. Gone is my formerly-beloved Mustang and its 17 MPG city fuel economy. I can finally stop cringing whenever gas prices go higher.

I've searched around the forum for tips and insights, but I've yet to find a (current) thread detailing the following: Now that I have a Prius, what items/accessories are must haves? Here's what I have so far:

1. An Accutire Tire Gauge

(Short list, isn't it?)

And here is a list of things I know/believe I need:

1. A first-aid kit
    2. An air compressor
    3. A portable jump starter

What do you all consider must-have items? What is something I'll wish I had if the moment ever comes around where I really, really need it? On the above list, what first-aid kit, air compressor and portable jump starter do you use?

In addition to being a new Prius owner, I've also fairly recently become the head of a household (i.e. I got married). So, I'm wanting information to benefit/help/protect my wife as much as anything.

Any insight any of you could give will be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have anything.:) welcome to prius chat, all the best!

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, the wimpy factory horns must be replaced with something louder. Search for the Horn Upgrade thread on replacing the meep meep horn with FIAMM Freeway blasters. It is a rarely used safety feature, but you'll be glad you have them when you need them. ;)

Here's the thread:

Horn Upgrade --- DIY | PriusChat

RaZa likes this.
  4. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Air decent compressor is a nice thing to have for sure. It will allow you check your tires whenever you want, and it will also act as the best interior/engine/house cleaning tool you've ever used. Harbor Freight has an 2 horsepower 8 gallon 125 psi compressor for $120 which is a good price for something that large

Portable Air Compressor
    -

5. typesomethingwitty

typesomethingwitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bisco: Thanks!

xliderider: The horn? You know, I haven't even tried the horn yet! Haha. I'll have to do that after work.

RaZa: Thanks for the portable air compressor recommendation. Given its size, do you store it in the Prius so have you have it with you at all times? Or is it a bit large for that?

Keep 'em coming, everyone. I appreciate it.

6. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes let's keep the suggestions coming! I already bought a set of horns lol (i just hope they fit 5 with tech package). Well maybe I should unsubscribe before I spend any more lol.

The air compressor like the one I suggested is definitely something only to keep in the house or garage. Small portable 12 volt air compressors are ok in a pinch, but you'll want something bigger eventually :)

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somewhere there is a thread with a DYI on changing out the horns. Might be on the PiP forum. I have big hands, but was still able to gain access and put the Freeway Blasters in. Real easy, just plug-and-play.

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it's 2, get a new cabin air filter, change the oil, mobil1, keep the tires above 40, new windshield wipers, get a scangauge2, it'll read any obd2 codes and it's fun to tinker with, a K&N air filter (for the ICE- internal combustion engine) is reusable
    And welcome;)

9. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the must have on my list, will transform your Prius ownership experience to an entire different level. In other words you would love your Prius much more and it will becomes more fun to drive.

(1). Clear bra, never have to worry about rock chips again
    (2). TRD lowering springs and TRD rear sway bar. Makes it feel like it's on rail (Like the Pretty woman movie)
    (3). A Valentine 1 radar detector, if you do a lot of interstate driving. (Yes, you will be speeding in a Prius)

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Must have? Just good tunes as this car can go forever on a tank. So I say an Ipod or Pandora feed for radio. Digital feed is much cleaner than radio.

Chris S likes this.
  11. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to get a wheel and tire and make a real spare tire.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Flares. Headlamp.

FranklinS likes this.
  13. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    +1
    A dedicated ipod to store in the armrest with all your favorite tunes. I have a 160 gig with all my music plus about 100 movies

Ursoboostd likes this.
  14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hilarious.. aside form #1, I can see why your fuelly for Prius is at 40.3mpg! Makes me feel better. ;)

Mrpcar likes this.
  15. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    100 movies? how do you watch them in Prius? hack to play on screen?

16. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good idea essential!

Safety:
    Led flashlight: Get a set of eloop Sanyo rechargeable batteries and exterior charger (LaCie is good) to power. These batteries keep a charge a long time. Once you start using these you won't want to go back and find that you are almost through buying batteries.

Flares: Buy half a dozen and "borrow" your bride's hair ties or cut inner tubes to wrap around them. They are one use item. More reliable than battery powered and brighter than reflectors.

Ist Aid Kit: Just a good OSHA kit. Don't get the overpriced Toyota. Might throw in some OTC meds , triangular bandage, 8 X 10 & 4 X 5 compresses, CPR barrier.

Alarm: Learn to use the "panic" function on key fob. (Don't sit on it:confused:).

Convenience
    12v Air Compressor: MAY let you limp to a better place. I have one but not everyone needs one. Just an inexpensive one will do. NAPA has a good one.
    Jumpers: I think our cars are tricky to jump. I'll defer (I'm a new owner too)
    Tiny 3/8" X 3/8" USB jump drive for tunes.
    Disable back-up beep.

17. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    =
    +1

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    +1 on horn.. that is a hazard! Fiamm's!

19. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cargo net of course!!! Easy install, super useful! And it comes with an official Toyota tag!

20. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No i have a dedicated 5 inch screen sitting right on top of the steering wheel column. I only use it on my highway commute with the drcc and lka turned on, and even then i'm really just listening anyways. just helps the commute go by faster.