1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must I shell out the $$$ for a dealer-issued fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by evsmarie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. evsmarie

evsmarie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello all!

A complete newb here (just purchased my '08 on Monday) and already I'm ***hoping*** that I didn't make a mistake. Allow me to "briefly" (ah hem) explain...

We purchased our Prius from a non-Toyota dealership (first mistake?!). There were three others that we were going to look at that same morning and after calling ahead, we found out that all three had sold on Saturday. So, this was option #4. We knew that when we got to the dealership (large and reputable) we would leave with the car as long as everything looked and sounded okay. They got the car from the lot (second mistake - we should have gone with them) and brought it around to the front. We test drove it - everything sounded good/looked good and so we wrote out the check! (80,000 miles, $13,750 + tax, title) Well, when we got home (3 hours away) - I went to lock the doors with the key fob. Nada. Dead as a doornail. I called our "award winning salesman" yesterday to point out that we had a dead fob on our hands (it was the only one that came with the car). He didn't sound all that shocked and suggested going to our local dealership for a battery. Which, I did today - where they were kind enough to inform me that the fob was dead, dead, dead and a battery wasn't going to help it. (They tried) I left with a $300 "new fob" quote in my hands. I called our "award winning salesman" and pointed out that they must have known the fob didn't work since they would have had to use the mechanical key to open the doors on the lot... He became snippy and let me know that since we got "such a good deal" there wasn't anything else that they would do. ARGH! Are you kidding me? After some back and forth - the sales manager finally said that if I went ahead with the new fob, I could send them the receipt and they would "look into" refunding me $100. What a joke.

Sorry for the lengthy tirade. I've been scouring Pruischat for the last month or two researching this purchase. I never thought that my first issue would be within the first day or two! And let me clarify - I'm not questioning getting a Prius - just questioning getting this particular one from this dealership. Because now I am left wondering what else they didn't disclose...

I've read pages and pages and pages describing how to purchase a new fob off of Ebay and how to set it. Am I able to do that in my situation without a fob that has a working lock/unlock? Or do I need to suck it up and add $300 to the cost of my "new" vehicle.

(All that aside - getting 50 mpg during my many many miles today was FABULOUS!)

Thank you in advance for any (all!) advice, words of wisdom and general assistance. And perhaps even a slap on the back of the head for not noticing this at the dealership. Though in my defense, I never anticipated that they wouldn't mention something like this... :mad:

2. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you try a new battery in the fob? It's a standard CR2032 battery; I've found a three pack at the dollar store.

What exactly did they mean by "dead, dead, dead"? Did/does the fob let you start the car when you put it in the slot? The only thing I can think of is that the electronics (transmitter or related) somehow stopped working.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still a little confused as to how the dealership got your car started w/o a working key fob. As long as you have a working key fob you can program another NEW one, it must be one that has never been programmed, here are the instructions:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-experience-key-fob-programming-issues-2.html
    the instructions are halfway down by kpsounis and its called the "chicken dance" referring to all the silly repetitive steps you have to perform to get the new fob to work. Either print it out or have your laptop on your dash as you are attempting to do this.

4. evsmarie

evsmarie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My apologies for the confusion!

The fob itself will start the vehicle. It's the lock/unlock functions that are broken. And let me tell you - shelpping a 20-month-old and newborn around without an automatic lock/unlock feature gets old VERY quickly! When I brought it to a Toyota dealership yesterday, they tried replacing the battery (which would have been a cheap and easy fix!) and after putting the new battery in, it still registered no response on their meter. Hence the multiple "dead" references. :) (My take on it)

From the reading that I've done on this forum, it sounds as though I could get another Ebay fob to program to start the vehicle without many difficulties... it's whether I can program one to lock/unlock the vehicle without having a fob that already works in that capacity.

Thank you for your continued assistance! I wouldn't be complaining about having to shell out the $$ whether through Toyota or the Ebay method had I known about it before purchasing the car. I'm just feeling a bit burnt. Though why I expected total honesty from a car dealership, I'll never know!

5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try again with the stealership, but this time tell them that your reporting them to the B.B.B and Toyota Corporate for misrepresentation. Most 2nd hand stealership should have a thirty (30) return policy, so threaten them with that too!

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the selling dealer advertised the car with "keyless entry" it seems like you have plenty of recourse for a BBB report and a false advertising report with whatever agency in your state has that control.

7. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If you end up needing to get a new fob and have it programed, shop around. I found a wide variation in price at my local dealers to buy and program a new fob.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does your Prius have the Smart Key System (SKS)? SKS Prius have an SKS disable button under the steering wheel, next to the TPMS reset button. You can check there to see if yours has the SKS. It makes a difference in our recommendation.

I assume you needed to insert the fob into the dash slot to start the Prius. Is this correct?

Tom

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Long story short ... yes ... the link WILL enable you to program a FOB ,,, however it does NOT enable programming for SKS functions ... just remote locking & ignition/start functions. If 2 out of 3 is good enough, then that's ok ... but SKS functioning is a pretty nice thing to simply forego.
    That said ... WELCOME, EVSMARIE !

:welcome:

10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hill,
    If you look at post 16 (and beyond), you will find that it does program full SKS functionality. Many have reported successful SKS functionality from "chicken dance" programming as long as you have a "new" fob with the "chrome" Toyota emblem on the back.

evsmarie,
    There are always ways around everything. It just depends on what you're willing to do and how much effort you're willing to put into it.

The cheapest solution (that I can think of) is to buy a remote keyless entry from Bulldog Security (Bulldog Security KE1702 Remote Keyless Entry) $30.58 from Sam's Club online and install it. (You can do this yourself. Its not hard or have someone help you).

I noticed you live in a cold climate. With that in mind, another solution (2 for 1) is to install a remote starter w/ keyless entry (Bulldog Security RS1200E Remote Starter $62.38 + PK All Bypass Kit $34.10 (Amazon)=96.48 total). With this, you get remote start and remote keyless entry (including the hatch). This is tougher to install but you could probably have it installed for about $150 but I'm not sure. If you know someone who is handy, work out a deal w/ them.

I don't work for Bulldog Security but I have used their product with success.

Other than that, if you don't have a fully functional fob, I'm not sure if the "chicken dance" will work to program a new fob. The only way to find out is to try it. If it doesn't work, then you're probably out that money because it appears they can only be programmed once (I'm not sure if a failed programming attempt will limit future attempts to program a new fob).

I would def check out whether the car was advertised w/ "keyless entry". If that's the case, I would push hard at the dealer that sold the car to you.

11. noelty

noelty Member

*this*

12. evsmarie

evsmarie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You guys are great! Thanks for all of the responses.

My Prius doesn't have an SKS system - so that will be helpful in this case.

As far as whether the "stealership" (love that term!) advertised the car as having keyless entry... that's a great question. I checked on Tuesday (the day after we purchased it) to see if it was still advertised on their website or where we found it (cars.com), but all listings had already been taken down and I never printed one off. They know who I am at this point and if I call and demand a copy of the ad - I doubt that it will be the original. Anyone know of any other way to locate an old/removed car ad?

I've called a few other Toyota dealerships in the area and while the prices of the fob might be lower at other places, the price of the fob programming is higher then.

Thanks again for the responses! And thanks for the welcome. This is a great community.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For what it is worth, here is my two cents worth.

Go ahead and get a new key fob from the cheapest place you can. Try to program it to unlock and lock the doors for you. Since you don't have SKS, you will always have to put the key fob in the slot to drive the car.

If you are sucessful in programming the new fob, then you are good to go. If you find you just can't do it, then resort to Toyota to help you there.

It seems a lot of dealers try the bait/switch game with key fobs nowadays. We ran into a similar problem when we bought our "certified" Prius from a stealer here in Houston.

I resolved the problem by buying a second fob, taking the car to a different stealer, paying them to program the fob and setup the SKS for me. After that I sent a letter to the original selling stealer explaining to them the fact that all car's should be sold with two keys. It did not take them very long to respond to me and I had a check within 10 days to cover the cost of the second fob, and the programming. I was also reimbursed for a full set of new floor mats as their award winning salesman gave me the same drill. With the deal you got, No floor mats and one key...

Good luck with your Prius. Even though I am a male, I can appreciate and understand what it is to carry a little one and trying to fumble with a key, most especially the small key that works for that Prius lock.

Enjoy the ride and MPG. :)

Ron (dorunron)

14. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG] the VIN

15. CasperPrius

CasperPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm fairly new to my Prius but found this ad on eBay that offers repair on the FOB. Says one of the buttons gets stuck and will no longer unlock/lock doors. They claim that is a common affliction. I tried posting the link but I'm apparently too new. Item number is 170792590598 and cost is $65 - they do have 100% positive feedback. I do not know how easy it is to perhaps do it yourself. Good luck!

16. nveprius

nveprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased a used Prius a few years ago, it came with 2 keyfobs. 1 worked, 1 never did. Well I lent the keyfob that worked, to a family member, who subsequentally lost it. All that I had was the one that didn't work. Picked up a new one on eBay (about $100 shipped), and took it to the dealership, as my 'master' keyfob had been lost, and I was unable to program it myself.

The dealership charged me $100 to program the new keyfob, and cut the key. They also changed the battery in the 2nd keyfob, and fixed a stuck button (which I didn't know about), for free. Now I have 2 working keyfobs... it's like a new car!

17. rugrat

rugrat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @EVS marie

Hello I am from MN too. What dealership did you buy the car from (I may have looked at the same car) and as far as the quoted price goes check around with other dealerships they have diffrent prices. I recently washed the key fob for my Toyota Avalon... :-( :-( it worked that day afterwords so I thought I had dodged a bullet then it stopped working the next day...

I looked it up and it was $500 for a new smart key.... I talked to Toyota dealership and they guy quoted me $200+$75 programming... I talked to the manager of the coonrapids one and he said they would program for $55.... So I am going to buy a new smart key off ebay for $100 and have them do the programming... then you can also take the actual key part and just stick it the new one... (save time and money... being you won't have to pay them to recut it...)
    also try talking the dealer management again... and get rough... if they play dirty its time for you too! Leave some nasty reviews about them online or something... they will get you the money that is rightfully yours... they are hoping you will settle with what they got... they have room to budge... they are making atleast $2k+ on the car they just sold you... Tell them if they don't refund you that you will take the car back or something if they still don't want too... and have some fun ;-)

its still annoying that there is nothing to these keys... its like a $.10 electronic piece... but there is no competition for them.... ;-)

18. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No way. The materials alone cost upwards of $20. The plastic shell might only be $0.10 when produced en masse, but since there's only demand for a few thousand annually, the actual cost of just the plastic shell is likely much higher.

19. Erik Pedersen

Erik Pedersen New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I have a new Prius, and wanting a spare system, and I have a few observations in going through my process. The car mates to the fob -- not the other way around. Hence fob's are either "used" or "virgin." If not "virgin" they need to be reprogrammed by factory software (i.e. Dealer) with a new secret number which the dealer (only?) can get. The metal keys can indeed be cut by qualified local locksmiths but they don't always have the right blanks. Sometimes you may have to accept a Lexus key that is way too long (as a spare) but will only work if properly cut - otherwise it jams. That only gets you in the door. Make sure they are careful when cutting them and make them guarantee it! (Including removal from a potentially jammed door!)

There are sources for the Toyota key blanks on the web. Check them out. Remember the caveats.

Accept this as your new future. Toyota has decided to steal more from us by wanting to control the key source and make more money later on? They know they can now get a lot more money for aftermarket keys and fobs. Even the dealers are "complicit" in this. Conveniently they don't have the key cutters. Huh? Have to send to the factory? It is now $125+ (plus markup & such) for a stupid little metal key that they order from Toyota (that they "can't" make even though a locksmith can ... ??) and it can't even start the car? Huh?

With respect to the electronic fob you need to match the EXACT FCC ID for it. Otherwise you are flushing your money down the toilet. The beginning of the monopoly and the excessive costs. Now on the later models it appears that you can't even get it to be accepted by the car unless you are the dealer.

The costs are EXCESSIVE and UNWARRANTED. Thanks a lot, Toyota!

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three