1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must I take my Prius to a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusunum, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Lucymama

Lucymama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III. Dealer is telling me work needs to be done by a mechanic that is Toyota hybrid-certified, or else my warranty will be invalid. I am not a d0-it-yourself owner, and have carefully had all scheduled maintenance done at Toyota. Mileage now 29,000. They tell me next service is $500. Any advice aappreciated.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your dealer is at least misinformed, if not just lying. I would never let that dealer do any work on my Prius. You can either DIY or find a good local shop do standard maintenance items. Hybrid related items need to be done by a mechanic that understands the Hybrid components. There are several qualified independent Hybrid shops in California.

The 30,000 mile work that they are quoting is full of unnecessary items. Use the list in your owners manual to limit the cost, but consider adding a drain and refill of the Transmission fluid at this time (Use Toyota Type WS ATF if you DIY - instructions can be found by searching this discussion group, dealer cost should be about $100).

JeffD

3. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I must have the dealer from hell-always overfills even when it is noted on the order, once left the oil cap OFF after oil change, then when they did the recall on the inverter water pump, they didn't secure it and left me stranded on a trip!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why continue using that one?

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did not take my 2008 Prius to the dealer once. I have mechanic friend and he charges about half of what a dealer typically charges.

6. Lucymama

Lucymama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you ! I really appreciate your feedback. Lucymama

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you don't want to do it your self, we'd love to do it for you. And, for much less than $500.

Avi