1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must replace my '07 -- which newer Prius is most similar?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alleenmarie, Nov 1, 2017.

1. alleenmarie

alleenmarie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my 2007 Prius (111k miles) but after an accident this weekend, it looks like I will need to replace it. Which of the newer models is most similar to the Gen2? I will want to buy one that's 2-3 years old (so most likely a Gen3), but I'm not sure what to make of the Prius v or the Prius c. Should I look into those, or will I most closely replicate my 2007 with a Gen3? What should I be on the look out for? Thanks for your thoughts!

offib likes this.
  2. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We have both a '16v and an '08 prius. Being 6'1" I much prefer the v. My 5'4" wife prefers the'08.
    For now, both get close the same mpg 45 in summer and 40 in winter @ a 15+ mile run. Short runs in winter (< 8 miles) 35 mpg when really cold (< 10 f )or headwind.

I cannot speak about the gen 3 or 4.

3. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If it were me, I would try to stick to Gen 2 asap. Replace it with a late year Gen 2.

For the Gen 3 until 2012 or 13, I wouldn't. I've heard of oil consumption and blown gaskets and how Toyota has more aggressively programmed to use the HV battery more, causing more premature battery loss or imbalance. Even in temperate climates.

Imo it also has the most ugly front with that horrible little mustache grille (but also the best rear lights tho...).

For later gen 3 years they seem good. Although I would hunt for a Pip without
    question.

Gen 4 for me is too early to call. Yet after being in one - I am not impressed by two things:

No rear quarter window. That window behind the passenger doors are so useful for reversing maneuvers and lane changes. That and the redesigned rear axle that didn't help practicality.

Overall, the Gen 2s are proving to be the most over engineered and long lasting. For a Pip its battery would have an easy time (and as if range loss and anxiety will ever matter here).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    v is a wagon, and c is small. if you want similar to your '07, stick with the lift back, which has no denotation of model, just prius. very confusing. 2012 or newer are very nice.