1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Must Sell, Prius or Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by derh2o, Dec 18, 2011.

1. derh2o

derh2o Junior Member

We are in a dilemma. we have a 2007 Prius with 58K miles and a 2007 Camry with 48K miles. We need to sell one of these and not sure which one would be best to sell. We like both cars, so we don't know what to do. Any thoughts from anyone?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Must Sell, Prius or Camry Hibred

Assuming that you're selling because need the money, let the money make the decision. Consult Blue Book to estimate how much you would realize from each, and then based on your driving needs calculate how much each one would cost to run for the next one, two, and five years. Repair costs are harder to estimate but I'd bet these two would be comparably small.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you don't need the extra passenger room (kids) of the Camry, keep the Prius.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

1. The Prius will hold its value better as years pass.
    2. Both Camry motors have been known to have problems. The 4 cyl can develop excessive oil consumption. The 6 cyl can develop excessive engine clatter, particularly at cold start, due to a problem with the VVT-i system.

Of course, here at priuschat, you will get a heavily biased "keep the Prius" response, but I have enough concern over the motor in your Camry, regardless of which one it is, that you should sell it now before you start having a problem.

5. derh2o

derh2o Junior Member

Update--we are selling one of the cars because we are buying a motor home and need a towable car.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

I seem to recall that the Prius must be towed with its front wheels off the ground. If they are both like that, sell the heavier one, so your towing will be easier.

7. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Sell the Camry. Easy choice. The best TOAD vehicles are always the lightest. Of course, you could find a used Geo/Chevrolet Tracker. They are the ultimate TOAD.

8. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I think the Camry is heavier than the Pruis from Toyota.com Camry curb weight with auto XMSN 3190 lbs., Prius curb weight 3042 lbs.

EDIT: oops my bad sorry I realized the OP was referring to two older models and IDK what the weights of those cars are. Let me go check...

Correction: Sorry SD you are 100% correct. According to data from Edmunds.com the 2007 Prius has a curb wt. of 2932 lbs., the 2007 Camry weighs in at 3263 lbs., and the 2007 HyCam tips the scales at a whooping 3680 lbs.

My bad!

9. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The truth is, I'm not sure I'd use either a Prius or Camry as a TOAD. One disadvantage to a front wheel drive TOAD is that you have to haul with two wheels off the ground using a dolly. Keep in mind with a short vehicle you won't even see it in your mirrors.

Backing up with a car on a dolly ain't easy. Of course, you really want to avoid backing up anyway. Often cars on dollys get squirrelly when driving down the freeway.

Back when I was traveling a bit using a GMC Motor Home, I was using a Geo Tracker as my TOAD. It was a really cheap vehicle under a grand. It easily slipped into 4X4 Neutral and I had a tow bar installed.

10. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

sell whichever car you can gain the most out of

11. derh2o

derh2o Junior Member

my original message should have been more clear. we need to sell one of the vehicles and replace it with a car that can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. towing it with a dolly is too much work to load and unload, whereas a tow bar (dinghy towing), just needs to be disconnected-real easy.

12. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think pretty much any car that is NOT AWD or 4WD all the time can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground as long as its in neutral, no???

13. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Suzuki Samurai.

Prius cannot be towed with front wheels on the ground even if you know the trick to keep it in neutral with the car turned off.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Most ATs and the Prius are not flat-towable. Well they're flat towable as long as you don't mind expensive transmission repairs. ;)

ATs tend to need the engine idling to lubricate the transmission. The Prius, I'm not sure of all the reasons why, but I know it needs the engine to spin to protect the motors at high speeds.

15. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The 4X4 Suzuki Sidekick or Geo/Chevrolet Tracker can be towed easily. I towed one all over the USA.