1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my '05 broke down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, May 18, 2005.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YES this site has really helped me- especially removing the reverse beep- thank goodness!

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What hasn't been mentioned by anyone in your thread yet is that the dealer should probably pull the codes to find out what caused the car to light up like that. It might have been low fuel, but it also could be something else. The problem codes that the onboard systems will generate would tell the dealer one way or the other.

Now, I'm going to assume that you have probably started and stoped the car many times now. With that many on/off cycles, the codes might have already cleared out of the system. The only reason to not stop and start a Prius which has experienced unexpected trouble is to keep the error codes in memory so that a tech can poll them from the car when it arrives in the service bay.

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep\";p=\"90676)</div>

Yea I didn't have time to get to a dealer- I didn't know that codes get erased! That sucks for me- LOL

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager\";p=\"90646)</div>
    Nope, mine was clueless, which was good for endless amusement.

I'd already been lurking at PriusChat for awhile before buying mine here. And I did have a chance to test drive one in SLC, sorry Kyle not at Malone Toyota.

My Tideland Pearl was in the showroom near the door and the salescreature was *very* nervous about starting it up and pulling it out. He actually wanted to round up some techs from the shop to PUSH it out!

I assured him I had put plenty of miles (Yeah right, like 8!) on a Prius, so I confidently got behind the wheel, waited for the salescreature to buckle up, stepped on the brake, pressed Power, waited for Ready, and shifted into Drive. As I silently glided out of the showroom, the salescreature jaw almost hit the floormat.

It was priceless. But I guess you had to be there.

5. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

If you had a couple bars left/showing on the guage, my guess would be you have the reported software glitch. The glitch as I understand it affected 2004 models as well as some early 2005 ones. When did you get your Prius?

There was an article in Monday or Tuesdays Wall Street Journal on this, and the same day NPR covered it. Toyota knows about it for sure. Dealers probably know but may not be aware of the service resolution procedure.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chrism07924\";p=\"90707)</div>
    re read his inital post, Low Fuel light blinking and car quit. Ran out of gas. Stop let it sit a few minutes got enough into the sub tank (supply tank for the pump ) and go a few more miles. In the year and a quarter I've been on this Chat Line and moreso last Feb-March there were a lot of these post as people tried to learn the subtle nature of the bladder. Lots still haven't. This car has been the vehicle that has run out of gas the most of all new cars.

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chrism07924\";p=\"90707)</div>
    I bought mine in mid feb.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is possible the calibration glitch popped up, but unfortunately an "Engine Failed to Start" error, for whatever its true reason, occuring while in a "Low Fuel" condition yields a "Out of fuel" error code.

Although the indicator lights extinguish, many DTCs are still stored for at least a few trips.

Even if the dealer hadn't heard of the problem, if you tell him there is a bulletin, he should investigate. They should have a subscription to TechInfo.

Don't confuse bulletins (TSBs) with campains (SSx). The former is more of a hint to the tech, the latter is something Toyota has done and directly informs the affected owners as well as the dealers and the tech. The latter is what one might call a recall.