1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My '05 hybrid battery has died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbrbrk57, Oct 31, 2016.

1. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't afford to replace it, what can I hope to get selling it? It has 154,000 miles, I just did the front brakes and replaced the starter battery in the past month. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car isn't having issues, it would be best to repair it. If you bought a new battery for $3000, you would have a reliable car still.

You really can't get anything reliable for $3000 as a replacement vehicle

Selling it will probably get you $2000 as is

dbrbrk57, bshef and bisco like this.
  3. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much. I live on disability so my concern is future repairs. And I was quoted 6,000 for the battery, no way I can do that. There is a disturbing clunk when I come to a stop, sounds like it's in the rear. I'm sure there will be other things like the timing belt that will need replacing. Also has some rust starting. I love my Prius but I think I have to let it go.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Get more quotes. A new Toyota HV battery is in the low $2k plus labor. You can also get used (rebuilt) batteries for less but that is only kicking the can down the road.

If you're really wanting us to help you justify getting another car, we can do that too.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No timing belt on these lumps, they are chain driven. $6K for a new Toyota HV battery you are getting fleeced. Shop around some more. Any way you can get it to Oklahoma City.? If so PM Texas Hybrids on this forum they might be able to help you out.

You could cut and run as is or have a remanufactured battery installed and look elsewhere for another vehicle. But like has been mentioned you will have a tall order in front of you to find another vehicle for $3K, the going rate for a new HV battery. Where in KS are you located? Olathe Toyota has about the best pricing on HV batteries, and Hendricks as far as dealers go have been reasonable to deal with if you are on the right coast of KS.

bshef and dbrbrk57 like this.
  6. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone, I am going to look around online for a battery. I'm in Topeka so I only have one dealership to choose from. Should it be installed by the dealership or can I go to any shop?

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a bit of irony when owners state they can't afford to fix it, so they're gona buy new . . . but the rebuilt packs can last another easy 100k. Rebuilds around here can get done for as little as $1,300. When EVER you fix old stuff one can think of it as a bandaid, but that's the nature of all stuff. pay more get more ... & visa versa.

dbrbrk57 and bikes4u like this.
  8. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There's a place in Minnesota that rebuilds your Prius battery cost right around $500

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can go to an independent as long as they know how to do the job.
    Of course that's the problem. Many shops do not know how to do the job.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  10. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Watch some youtube videos and fix it yourself or have someone that you know that is comfortable with the repair help you. Not too hard just takes a couple hours time

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bikes4u,
    A NEW replacement hybrid battery from Toyota does not come assembled. There is a lot more disassembling and assembly involved compared to a USED battery pack.

USED hybrid battery come fully assembled.
    NEW replacement hybrid battery from Toyota is not fully assembled.

There are many more steps for a NEW replacement hybrid battery than a used one.
    They definitely should not be done unless you have the tools. (For instance a inch/lb torque wrench)

I've come across NEW replacement batteries that were not torqued to the correct values that ended up causing dangerous arcing and damaged other components.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  12. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My comment was more along the lines of replacing bad modules yourself if you are experienced in DIY projects.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How pathetic is it, that a brand new pack would not be properly torqued. Talk about resellers (& their insurance company) setting their self up for some Court time . . .

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even with DIY module replacement you'll eat the right safety equipment and tools.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  15. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I service the Topeka area, and would be glad to help you. I would recommend getting your trouble codes read to find out exactly what triggered them to come on. O'reillys Auto Parts, and some others, will read the codes for you. Please private message me your number or email and I will get in contact with you.

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  16. jharaszko

jharaszko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced my battery last year on my 07 for 2700. Installed at my house with 4 year unlimited mileage warranty. Company is greentec auto. They have a location in Kansas City. 15585 S Keeler St, Olathe, KS 66062. However, I have heard of several people using a grid charger, sold on this site. This costs around 350 I think. People have found that their battery pack did not have bad cells but had blocks of batteries that were so out of balance with each other that they threw a bad battery code with red triangle. Someone with electrical experience can install this. I think it just drains battery to zero and recharges it at least once. I wish I tried this first. Good luck.

jeff652 and dbrbrk57 like this.
  17. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

18. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for this, I will check it out.

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know this company is too far away from you, I just wanted to point out their great pricing for new FACTORY batteries.

Texas Prius Battery Replacement

dbrbrk57 likes this.
  20. dbrbrk57

dbrbrk57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I so wish I could afford this; it's going to take 6 months to save up for a rebuilt battery.