1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 06 Prius 5 biggest surprises... what are yours?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrlittlejr, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'm actively learning to feather.
    I think it'd be much more simple and straightforward to be able to just press a button when you want to coast w/o power transfer and loss to entropy.
    (Not a fan making interfaces more difficult than necessary.)

2. jeneric

jeneric New Member

It seems this site has reminded me that it's much(?) more efficient to get power directly from the ICE, as opposed to having it charge the battery and then provide the power.

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

As an engineer, that makes a lot of sense to me.
    Why does it report so much higher MPG when I am in electric only then?

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    because it doesn't take the inefficiencies into account. I think it shouln't. Since you are using no gas at that moment you are getting essentially infinite MPG.

When it goes to charge the battery, it does affect you MPG, so it in effect does take the inefficiency into account at that time. So while electric does give great MPG, you pay for it later. The best time to use the electric is when you know the gas will be inefficient. (low speed stop & go, coasting, etc). My last four miles to work are downhill or flat, so I use electric during that time, boosting my avereage overall. Idling the engine when gravity will move me is just a waste. I could probably do better with pulse and glide, but cruise control isn't bad in my case. Then again, I only average 46, so...

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I would think hybrid technology works to a great deal because the ICE running at peak efficiency, charging the battery when not all that energy is needed, often outweighs the energy wasted from it being stored.

6. jeneric

jeneric New Member

and that when more energy is needed, the ICE can keep running at peak efficiency, but draw more power from the battery.

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the things I noticed is that the car is much bigger than it looks. Indication of a good design I think. I notice this every time I wash it. The car looks kinda dinky but always takes longer to dry off than I think it should. Plus this is a very aerodynamic design which promotes a quicker wash and dry time.

8. SmarterCarThanYours

SmarterCarThanYours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

9. SmarterCarThanYours

SmarterCarThanYours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not related to the 06 Prius but the 05...we just got one. We averaged 45.8 on the first tank, 39.8 on the second and are currently at 44.3.

Is there any one place to go to learn about the techniques to get better mileage? For instance, I don't know what is meant by "feathering." I would also like to know more about the various techniques for getting better mileage.

10. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Kiloran, your time will come.

It's probably chilly in Philly (heh heh) and you have a brand new, unbroken in Prius. Once you have a few thousand miles on it, in the summer, with synthetic oil maybe, you'll see a lot more 100 MPG averages and often be in electric only under 40 MPH. Trust me.

You may even adapt what many of use use as an alternative to a "GLIDE" button... and that is simply a flick of the right hand finger on the "shift" lever to put the car in neutral. I'll admint, a GLIDE button would be cool, especialy if the car would automatically go back to FORWARD if you touched the gas pedal!

Yet, as it's been said here over the year or so PriusCAT - I mean PriusCHAT has been around, in some areas, it is illegal to drive a car in neutral.

Keep track of your mileage! http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

11. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

I do not know, all these issues mentioned in the original post have generally existed since the 2004....

I dont have SMART or NAV, so am not worried about glitches related to those :p

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Yeah, I expected to get suboptimal mileage on my first tank and in the winter.
    Once the car is warmed up, I can usually manage to keep the 5 minute consumption bars above 50mpg. (Sure I'll get better with time.)
    On my 30mi commute, I can almost get it to 50mpg.
    (49.7mpg is my best commute so far from a cold start.)

13. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

This has been the most consistent statement of anyone who rides with me in the Prius. "Wow, it's a lot bigger/roomier than I thought it would be" :lol: It's almost a game for me to see how long it take a new passenger to state this!

14. 99009903

99009903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer honesty and technical competence.

15. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2006 PK 7, I didn't know they made a PK 8 in 2006?

for me it would have to be all of the above including the room inside. I'm not a slow driver at all and I love the 42+mpg @ 75+mph this is a big change from the 12mpg @ 55mph I was getting in the truck I traded in on my prius 4 years ago.