1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2001 Hybrid Battery needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by titus37, Nov 26, 2007.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oops i meant to say that i lacked knowledge back in the day...

forgot to mention, this is a ORIGINAL Chock full o nuts can

2. RichR

RichR New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :confused:
    Any experience with EastEndHybrids welcome!
    EastEndHybrids.com in Ontario Canada reconditions and sells replacement batteries for 2001 through 2003 Priuses using generation II cells. It makes sense to use newer cells. Joel, the owner, seems very reasonable and his price, $1299 + $250 shipping + [approx.] $125 return shipping + $500 core (refunded after core arrives) seems reasonable. They sell through eBay / PayPal. Please:
    If you have had any experience with EastEndHybrids, please describe the transaction and your experience with the reconditioned battery.
    Other general comments welcome.

Background:
    Within this week, I learned of my bad battery in my 2001 Prius with 98,000 miles.
    I took it to the dealer; they replaced the battery harness for about $500 and say that it still needs a battery replacement, which would cost me about $5000 from them.
    Codes:
    P3000 Battery Controller
    P2006 Battery Level
    P3004 Battery Harness (replaced at dealer - code gone)

I found a recommended independent shop in the area, who would charge me $400 service to replace the battery with another one I would provide. That shop, Hillmuth, in Columbia MD has experience putting in rebuilt batteries from Re-Involt.com. My wife and I are leaning toward using EastEndHybrids because they use newer parts and the cost is somewhat less.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The mere fact of using G2 batteries in a G1 case is not enough, the batteries still have to be balanced and conditioned. In your shoes I would drive to re-involt and pick up a battery for local installation.

4. RichR

RichR New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, I didn't take SageBrush's advice. We did get recommendations from 2 of EEH's previous customers. I went ahead and got the East End Hybrid battery from Ontario Canada. Joel at East End Hybrid faithfully did everything he said he would. He sent the rebuit battery to my nearby shop for installation. They installed it for the agreed price (although charging shop materials fee). I then had to take the old 143 pound battery to a UPS store and have it shipped to Massina NY - probably the address of EEH custom's agent. (UPS has a 150 pound weight limit.) Soon after it arrived, EEH refunded my $500 core deposit.

(Take care with the battery; it is heavy! I asked a guy in the parking lot close to the UPS store if he would help me move it from the car to the dolly. Despite my warning that the crate containing the battery was heavy, he grabbed the crate solo and nearly dropped it before I could say anything. We then lifted it together without further problems.)

My wife and I are pleased so far with the battery's performance in our 2001 Pruis, but it's only a week, so time will tell if we made the right decision.

5. tmelcher

tmelcher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My hybrid battery went out at 155,000 miles. Dealership broke me the bad news. Said it would cost $4,000 and then said they'd have the new car salesman call me. He even insulted me more when he offered me $2,000 for my 2005 Prius that cost me $30,000 with all the bells & whistles.

For those of you not interested in rebuilding the hybrid battery pack yourself, if you are located anywhere near Nashville, Tennessee, give Tommy Roller a call. He owns Roller Salvage in McMinnville, TN. Telephone number - 931-939-2971. Tommy is a good friend of my son-in-law and he can do most anything relating to automobiles. Besides Roller, I only located two companies in the entire Southeast that would tackle the job - one in Melbourne, FL - Mellors Automotive and the other in Savanah, GA

Both wanted over $1,000. Tommy Roller rebuilt my battery for $550. Great country guy who's not interested in making a killing. He saved me $3,500 and my Prius is back up and running again!!