1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2004 Prius has morphed into a 2012.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2004 Prius had 141,000 miles on it and was having some problems.
    The air conditioner wasn't cooling unless the car was moving, it needed new brakes, belts and had lots of dings including a scraped up and loose rear bumper that needed replacing.

Another worry was that the HV battery was dropping to 1 or two pink bars regularly. When it was new the battery only dropped that far when the car was sitting still with the air conditioner on. I had a Toyota dealer check it out and they said the battery was fine. If the battery went out before 150,000 miles the warranty would take care of it but if it needed to be replaced after that it would have been a large expense. Too large for an 8 year old car.

So I decided it was time to trade it in for a new Prius instead of pay to fix up everything. The dealer gave me $3500 for the 2004. That's about the bottom Kelly value for this car but since it needed work I took it.

I almost got the Prius Five with the radar cruise control but chickened out at the last minute. It was $5000 more than the Prius Four and that just seemed too much for the extra features. I'll wait a few years until the radar feature becomes more affordable. So I've got a new blue 2012 Prius Four.

The new technology was a little overwhelming when I first tried it out. On the 2004 everything was on one screen. Now there are different screens all over the place. The added features are interesting but I find the things I use most, the map and playing music, all take several button pushes on different screens now. In the old Prius, with the custom Vais ipod control I installed, everything was just one steering wheel button away. I also preferred the old door buttons. They seemed easier to use than the new touch sensors on the front top of the handle. The powered driver's seat is great though.

So I've got a few more years now as a member of the Prius family.

BTW: I got my car through a Consumer Reports deal. If you pay $15 for their car report that shows all the dealer's actual costs, it includes some pre-arranged prices that local dealers offer. They were all below dealer's invoice. I saved around $2500 off the MSRP and there was no haggling.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I hesitate to call you a new member, but I hope this Prius treats you as well as the first!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good deal! You'll get used to it quickly and when summer comes you'll be blown away by the better fuel economy. :)

4. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Enjoy your new baby!

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

6. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I nearly chickened out too. At first I really did scoff at the cost of the 5 with the technology package. I was going to get a 3. Then well if I get a 3 I may as well get a 4 with sunroof. If I get a 4 with sunroof I may as well get a 5 with tech package... See how that works? lol So in the end I got one and LOVE DRCC. I am very spoiled now and I hope I will never have to own another car without it! :LOL: I drive 70 miles a day commuting (mostly highway) so it really does come in handy. I love that I can get in the right lane and basically never have to touch the gas pedal or fidget with the cruise the entire way. The car takes care of all of that. It's great believe me!