1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2004 Prius won’t start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Asif Rana, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Asif Rana

Asif Rana New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi guys,
    I am a very new owner of a 2004 Prius (just a week). It has 110k Kms (70K miles) on the idol and in mint condition. In past week I put on about 2000kms (1400 miles) and so far it didn’t have any issue.
    Just today I discovered an EV switch and experimented quite a few times driving in that mode. Every time I could drive, 1.5 Kms unless I pushed the gas pedal hard enough to put the speed above 45 Kms (25-27 mile/hr).
    Every time, the battery juice emptied/ @ excessive speed (>26 miles per ur)the motor automatically kicked in without an issue.
    The problem started right after I put it in my drive way. Initially I noticed the cabin lights got dimmer & it won’t start. I was also smelling battery acid odour in the cabin.
    Then, 2. I tried to hook up the battery charger on the engine bay, but it won’t start. On top, the “check engine” light came on.
    Then, 3. I jumped it from another car and it took the start right away,
    Then, 4. I drove the car at higher speed (> 50 mph) for about 10-12 miles without any issue
    Then, 5, after parking it on my driveway, it won’t start.
    Then,6, I put it on low amp (2 amp) charge. Noticed the check engine light came on. I unhooked the charger.
    Based on the above, I’d appreciate you guys’ feed back which would be much helpful I believe.
    Thanks in advance

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have a weak 12v battery and that EV switch overuses /abuses the High Voltage battery, which is responsible for helping keep the 12v battery charged. Find out when the 12v battery was last replaced and if it's been a while we can help you with finding a good battery at a low price.

In the US they removed the EV switch from Gen2 Prius because of these and other more severe problems.

Bottom line, you bought a very old hybrid car that's designed to use both the gas engine and electric motor in ways that compliment each other and you're abusing the EV switch. I suspect in the owners manual in non-US cars there is a warning to use this switch only very briefly and not to over-use it.

bisco likes this.