1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2007 got rear ended! I am SO proud of my car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DianneWhitmire, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's only been 11 days and you gave them the license plate number of a boyfriend's car, not the name of the girl. Standard practice is to send a letter to the registered owner of the car indicating that the vehicle was allegedly involved in a hit-and-run and asking them to come to the station for an interview and it could take a while.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems too little damage to be near 35mph.
    This accident was a truck travelling at I would guess 60km/h (38mph) and a Holden Commodore. The 2 back seat passengers died, the 4 year old at the scene. Car was stationary in the middle of the road. The truck had 2 loaded trailers.
    I removed the company name and the copper's face to protect the Innocent and those not Innocent

Attached Files:

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    An 18-wheeler going 38mph isn't even close to a car going 35mph, but yeah, my wife saw a similar accident a couple weeks ago on the 105 (near Los Angeles Airport) involving SUVs and the rear end/back seat was totally smashed in.

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Via phone a few days later, I spoke directly with the HB Police officer who I gave the report to at the scene. He told me that he'd decided not to cite her, and gave me the AAA Policy # and her full name -- and wouldn't tell me more. He said that she was young (22-23) and she was scared and made a bad decision, and after "sternly talking to her" he made the decision not to arrest or cite. I am angry that he let her off, but also know that in my younger days, I too was cut a few breaks (of course I never hit and ran someone) and wonder if it's my time to pay that past graciousness forward and let it go.

I know the bumper damage looks pretty mild but when you yank up the plastic cargo pieces and tire holder in hatch area, the base of the car underneath is smooshed. That's why I was very pleased - the bumper took the hard hit like a champ.

5. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Dianne---Patrick's advice is very important. A close relative of mine began having neck-related problems about eight years after her accident (as determined by medical doctors). She settled early for a small amount. Don't settle prematurely. Good Luck

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have to wonder if the driver was texting when she hit you. She's lucky she wasn't in Utah and didn't kill anyone. New law there "penalizes a texting driver who causes a fatality as harshly as a drunken driver who kills someone."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/technology/29distracted.html

Given that texting while driving has been shown to be as bad as or worse than DUI, it's not surprising.