1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2007 Prius Has An Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AmberFox85, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AmberFox85

AmberFox85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all. Found this forum and am writing to get some help/advise.

My 2007 is having issues relating to either the battery or some other problem relating to issues accelerating. This happened last week roughly when I noticed the car didnt seem to have the 'power' that it used to have when taking off from a stop. It felt sluggish. Ive seen some other posts on here that have stated similar issues, but I am thinking more and more that the hybrid battery might in fact be the cause.

I have an appointment set up at a local Toyota dealership to have the car tested to find out what exactly is going on. They quoted me at almost $3 grand to buy a new battery and labor. Im not to keen on spending all of my savings (i am in the midst of trying to move as well)

Does anyone know what they test for? Would it be easier to take it to an auto shop and have them run the codes instead? Id be happy to post the codes they find here. I could even post a video of what the display in the car says.

Second question - I can order a rebuilt hybrid battery online (for a fraction of what a new one costs). Is anyone local in colorado that could help me install it (if it is indeed the hybrid battery)?

Thanks everyone :)

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Assuming the current HV Battery is the original one that came with the car, it is probably on its last legs. If so, the original HV Battery gave you (and previous owners) trouble free operation for 12years. I am happy if smartphone batteries give me two solid years; which has never been the case for me. The original Toyota HV Battery is warranted for 8/10years (depending on State), and by design. Toyota knows very few failures will occur before 8/10years. Most owners here got 8/10years. Some people were lucky and hit the HV Battery lotto and experienced a failure before their warranty was up; an additional 10years for these lucky few.

The Toyota dealership will charge you $100+ to read any codes. If no warning lights are on, waste of $100+.
    An independent will probably charge you a little less. But same problem. No lights = no codes. Money wasted.

Some enthusits would look at be swings in state of charge and look at resistance to see if there is a possible upcoming failure. But even this, won't predict when it will happen. Even a battery that looks good right now, could fail the very next moment (hours/days/weeks/months).

DO NOT BUY A REBUILT HV BATTERY!
    Were you thinking of GreenCrappyBean for your battery?

Read post #9 & #11 to put NEW OEM HV Battery cost into perspective, 2k1Toaster alternative to OEM HV Battery, the dangers of used/rebuilt/remanufactured, and how to search for Toyota parts. Indianapolis area battery repair? | PriusChat
    Also, some of these rebuilders don't cover labor, so you would have to be paying for this every time.

Finances aside, the better question is what is your time worth to you? Can you afford the down time when you have get the HV Battery fixed, possibly repeatedly with a used/rebuilt one? What would you rather be doing with your free time? You can save money (spend less, pay raise/promotion, 2nd job, sell things), but you can NOT earn more time. Whats your long term plan for the car? Keep a few months? Keep a year? Keep until the next catastrophe happens?

Remember, all things being equal, a NEW OEM part will always outlast a "rebuilt/remanufactured/reconditioned" part; fancy words for "used."

Contact @3prongpaul here to see how much a NEW OEM HV Battery would cost. Boulder Hybrids, in Boulder, CO.

Consider getting Techstream to read codes.
    Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

"But I don't DIY." Getting the codes read at a Toyota dealership will set you back $100+. The cost of the hacked Techstream from Amazon will pay for itself.

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. May have to return/buy a few, as some cables have problems. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up here. Private Sales | PriusChat

#2 exstudent, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  3. AmberFox85

AmberFox85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry I posted this thread. Ill delete it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome @AmberFox85 !
    most local shops cannot read the codes properly, and don't know how to repair a prius, so look for one that specializes in hybrids.

rebuilt batteries are hit or miss, if you don't want to invest a few thousand, it might be time to move on.

feel free to post codes and videos, and we'll help as much as we can.

as mentioned above, boulder hybrids is a well respected member here.

all the best!(y)

AmberFox85 likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And I am sorry that you got overwhelmed by one of our "purists" here who insists on telling you how to build a clock when you just asked for the time.

Rebuilt batteries are often just a waste of money......UNLESS all of the cells are changed. Usually they only do the ones that have failed and more fail soon after.

That $3000 number really isn't too bad. But you might be able to save around $500 on the part and labor if you shop around.

By all means, get the diagnostic done at the dealer first.

AmberFox85 likes this.
  6. AmberFox85

AmberFox85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Sam Spade 2, I do want to check out the shop in Boulder. You all seem to speak highly of it. I got a better repair quote and they have a nice little 2012 Prius that I kinda want to look at. Maybe getting a newer model would be cost effective?

With the rebuilt battery I will ask if they have changed all the cells. I do worry about more cells failing down the road. I do just worry about pilling money into a car I dont plan on keeping more than a few more years. But I do love the car!

This is a lot to think about and a lot of decisions to make. One step at a time I guess.

Lol I cant even figure out how to delete this thread so I guess it stays up :p

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP reports no warning lights.
    NO warning lights (dash or MFD) = no codes = $100+ paid to dealer for diagnostic fee.
    It is OP's car and money; OP should spend as she deems fit.

Just being thorough. OP was entertaining a "rebuild" from an online company; many horror stories reported here. But, some lessons need to be learned the hard way? As you know too many people think "rebuilt" will be fine, there a "warranty", not realizing that for a few hundred more, or even less, they could have gotten a new OEM HV Battery or 2k1Toaster's cylindrical kit.

Overwhelming, up for debate.

Through & factual information provided, not up for debate. Should NOT have provided links to 3ProngPaul and his Boulder Hybrids, since OP is moving there. My bad. EVERYONE, UNREAD 3ProngPaul and Boulder Hybrids.

$3k is a HORRIBLE number. REALLY! You have more disposable income than me; good for you!

If you or OP had clicked on this link, Indianapolis area battery repair? | PriusChat, contained in post #2, you would have seen OEM HV Batt could have been had for just over 1/2 of your NOT BAD $3k price.

Just three days ago, posting on 6-7-2019, a new member, in Ohio, was able to secure a NEW OEM HV Battery for $1600 + tax! $500 dealer install labor optional. P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack | PriusChat

$3000 vs $1600 is a 60.9% difference!
    What could you do with the $1400 savings? If you forgot how to calculate percent difference, click here.

I agree with your statement to

#7 exstudent, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  8. AmberFox85

AmberFox85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The warning lights have gone off and on since I returned from an out of state vacation. But there hasnt been any noticeable issue, I just figured it need basic maintenance. They went off for a month after I got a tune up and complete fluid change, but once the car started acting weird they all came back on again. Sorry if I forgot to mention that in the start of the post.

Thats why I was going to post all the codes that the dealership tests read and if it helps pictures and video of what is going on.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No it isn't.
    Her immediate response was: "I'm sorry I asked." And YOURS was the only response at that point.

You need to get over yourself.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We agree on one thing, OP should

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in Boulder area you have hit the jackpot.

Some great hybrid shops in the area.
    - Boulder Hybrids
    - Mile Hybrid Automotive

Skip the dealer and go to them. Seriously.
    There are knowledgeable, honest, hybrid-focused shops.

#11 ericbecky, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Raytheeagle and maddog2020 like this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can figure out how to install techstream on an older laptop you can read the exact codes and post them here for around 25 dollars. You might even get better advice here than at some dealers.

13. BackToThePrius

BackToThePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your car isn't experiencing any other symptoms i.e. excessive oil consumption or rattling on hard acceleration...I would try to recondition the battery before replacing it.

If you don't want to deal with that, I would shop around Toyota dealerships and you can probably get a new battery for about $2,000 if you're a DIY kinda person. Swapping shouldn't take more than 4 hours...the hardest part is taking the back apart and putting it back together.