1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2008 Prius Sounds Like A Racecar And Smells of Gas After 12V Battery Change (with video)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mgonzales319, Jun 15, 2020.

1. mgonzales319

mgonzales319 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Hi!

Last Tuesday I had my 12 V battery replaced. It drove fine after, but for the first 5 minutes after starting up, the gas meter showed I was almost on empty even though I had over half a tank before I took it in. After about 5ish minutes of driving, the gas meter accurately reflected the amount of gas I had. Then on Saturday, I went to start my car and I thought the Camaro parked behind me had started. The engine rumbled extremely loudly, shaking the car, and the inside smelled like gas. I turned it off and tried again. The video is my fourth attempt turning it on. Any ideas on what this could be and if it is connected to getting my battery replaced?? Thank you!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Not connected. Look under the vehicle and see if someone has borrowed your catalytic converter or part of the exhaust system :cautious:

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the gas meter needs to reorient itself after a 12v change

Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, any time you disconnect the 12v battery, you'll lose fuel level indication until it calibrates itself. Could be 3 minutes or 3 hours.

And Megan, I'm very sorry to say, the noise is likely due to someone stealing your catalytic converter.....the joy of living in California...In South Carolina, I think we're allowed to just bury thieves like that in the woods...:whistle:

5. nolotank

nolotank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can see, the battery replacement went just fine. The fuel gauge does need to recalibrate every time 12v power is lost, so that's the cause of the behavior you saw. The fuel gauge should work as expected until the next time you disconnect the 12v battery. The automatic driver's window will also need recalibration - roll it all the way down and then all the way up and it should be good to go.

As for the rumbling noise and smell of fuel, you've probably become a victim of catalytic converter theft. Your exhaust is being dumped right under the front end of the passenger compartment, resulting in the smell you noticed. Catalytic converter replacements are not cheap - about two thousand bucks. If that is the issue and you do decide to fix it, you might want to look into one of these right after... Catalytic Converter Protection - GetCatSecurity

6. mgonzales319

mgonzales319 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you all so much for your help! When I went under the car to look I found that someone had definitely stolen my catalytic converter. At this point it's not worth the money for me to fix it, does anyone know how to sell a car without a catalytic converter? Thank you again!

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct procedure is as follows:

When the 12 volt battery is disconnected

The power windows must be initialized in order to ensure proper operation. (driver’s window only)
    1. Open the window halfway.
    2. Fully close the window by pulling the switch up and continue holding the switch for 1 second.
    The indicator on the switch changes from a flashing pattern to being on when initial settings are complete.