1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2010 rear speakers seem underpowered

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mozdzen, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Anyone else have this issue? if I crank up the back speakers, passengers can hear them a little better.
    Is it the speakers or just my car?
    If everyone has this, what is the simplest upgrade to fix the sound?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you, my brother and dad sat back there last weekend and they both said said to turn the radio up even though it was just about maxed out. Got home and did a check for myself and they are fairly quiet...i'm thinking its maybe the location of the speakers low on the door? Whereas on sedans they are right behind your head on the flat surface under the window?

3. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed that myself. I even turned the fader all the way back and those speakers seem to be weak. That's why I am only replacing the front door speakers.

4. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see that you have a III. You must have JBL and yes, the JBL amp sends nearly all of the sound to the front.

5. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    So is it just the default balance that is to blame and not the speakers back there?

6. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah the JBL amp is front biased. And the dash speakers make it seem even more so, because high frequencies are directional (and they are pointed right at you via the windshield).

7. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And the Display Audio in the PIP is front biased as well.

8. scblair

scblair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know this is as old thread but posting just for others who might read: I think this is an issue with non/JBL units as well. I have the stock head unit and there is practically no sound to the back. I read somewhere that Toyota puts the worst speakers in the back and the HU's send most of the signal to the front. Therefore unless you upgrade the head unit to something more balanced you're wasting your money on rear speakers.

trentofdestiny likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check your balance and fader, they are customizeable and saved to each input audio source. Happened to me also but realized each input audio has its own DSP customized preset.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it definitely is an issue with on JBL units. My Scion had the same issue, so this might be a conscious decision by Toyota. I'm replacing front and back speakers, as well as adding an amp. That should solve the issue, but I'll report back. I'm currently waiting for some installation accessories to arrive via Amazon.

scblair likes this.
  11. scblair

scblair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked both and when I push the levels to the rears it sounds like they're coming out through headphone speakers, the right rear especially is very choppy as well. I'll check again though and play with the settings. I have the base radio, not JBL, and it's not much to speak of.