1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2011 prius tboned Friday...now what

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by megatsea, May 26, 2013.

1. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Call came, the final check was cut to the collission department, we pick up our Prius Monday......finally!
    Hopefully, it will be a happy ride home....

PLSPUSH and JMD like this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hurray !!!!

3. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It seems silly we update our status, but our accident occurred less then 4 months of ownership and never thought I would miss a car as I do the Prius.......the forum has truly enlightened us while we wait. We appreciate the responses and "hurray" offered. Most important, Prius Chat is a learning curve as we might trade in for a newer Prius sooner than anticipated. Anyways, Monday is almost here, MRI first, Prius on the way home:), Mazda 3 rental car to be returned.

PriusGuy32 and JMD like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

5. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not happy today. Picked up the Prius, 12v battery dead....they charged it. Drove away, on the highway, dashboard rattling and loose and seems as popping out. Turn around, back to the shop.
    Its going to be a long hot week it seems.

JMD likes this.
  6. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ceiling dash was not popped in place, it is now....so hopefully all is fine when my husband arrives back .

JMD and PLSPUSH like this.
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Diminished Value Florida - Diminished Value Claim in Florida - Resource for Florida Auto/Vehicle Diminished Value Claims - DiminishedValueFlorida.com

Diminished Value Claims in Florida

Get a lawyer if the insurance company of the at fault party doesn't offer a reasonable settlement on diminished value but especially if they offer nothing. Even if the lawyer takes half, you'll come out ahead.

From your description of the damage, I wouldn't want to trust that car in a similar collision after repair. I would at least ask to see the laser measured report on the frame.

JMD likes this.
  8. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Disappointed . After viewing the car upon arrival home, seams along the panels do not match or line up compared to the non damaged side. Rubber gasket crinkled in 2 places, and soon I fear the panels will show even more displacement after the car has time on it. There is noticable separation of the hit side driver to rear passenger repairs . I imagaine I expected same condition as I when bought the car in February .
    Yes, we will have legal aid with this. Thankyou for your responses.

JMD likes this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this car repaired in a Toyota dealership?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

10. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, the body shop is at the dealership.
    As I drove home from work into my driveway, the visor dropped into my lap before I had the car in park. Just popped right out. If I were driving on a roadway- It would have jammed between the wheel and my body as I tend to move my seat up close to the wheel as I am short legged.... Scared me enough to be a bit miffed right now thinking I would have been startled enough and might have hit something. The car goes back Friday, to be detailed(scuff and smudge marks removed , a nice reversed dent is noticeable on the door which needs to be replaced, cracked paint by the taillights and basically a punch out list for them to work on. They will give us a loaner.
    But, it does feels good to be back in the Prius, but I notice it runs a bit different than I remember.....need time to adjust again.
    Have a good night all.

JMD and WE0H like this.
  11. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Todays adventure, remote key won't work all the time, pressing the door lock won't work either.... radio went dead. Now we wait until we return it on Friday.....to wait for more repairs....or check out alternatives....

JMD likes this.
  12. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any time your car goes into the body shop, there's a good chance its not gonna come back the same condition pre-accident. Little things such as panels and such can easily be loose bc disassembling and reassembling is different from initial assembly at the factory.

My car came back from the BS for a minor rear end. Rear bumper looked fine, but when I took it home, saw massive overspray and scratches in the corner. Took it back (bc they offer 100% lifetime warranty), then brought it home to see swirl marks from a bad buff job, and also a slight misalignment where the bumper is mounted to qtr panel. I'm not sure I wanna take it back bc each time is a hassle, and don't wanna come back with something worse. Besides, I can live with swirls.

Just try to be as thorough as possible when picking up the vehicle, although I do understand there are some things that you just cannot notice or foresee at the moment.

13. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I understand not to be so critical, but things should not be falling in our laps and be a hazard to driving. The panels misalignment irritate us as one panel is 1/2 inch popped out of the corner.... but electrical issues will be truly bothersome if they continue.
    Time to step back, catch my breadth and move forward hopefully.

JMD likes this.
  14. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    U have to be critical. I totally understand ur frustration. Being involved in an accident is a headache for reasons other than DV.

15. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The headache was having 2 MRI's today and no visor to block the sun while driving . But, I still love the Prius!

JMD likes this.
  16. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you feel better

17. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius has a Uni body construction.it is nearly impossible to ever get it back to original. With all the electrial connections, and gaskets, computer points, tiny lines and hoses. It is very unlikely you can repair a car that was hit that hard. I would never accept a fix, freakin State Farm knows that too. You need to be pushing your agent, hard to help,you. It is pure BS that a company as big as State Farm doesn't just do the right thing. God that flips me out. Ask any adjuster or agent if they would want that car? Ask them if they want to buy it from you. i mean if it good enough for you let them ave it. See if they would want their family to take a big trip, knowing how messed up it was. Bet your last dollar those bozos would never accept a repair on it! State Farm needs to step up to the plate and get you every last penny you deserve for a car you have insured by them. Shame on State Farm. By the way guess who insures my car, guess who has insured me for 40 years, State Farm. Perhaps I need to reconsider that.

WE0H likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    None of that is going to work.

OTOH, OP might be able to hit up a couple of dealerships for appraisals. Ask them whether the repair changes the appraisal. That would be the diminished value.

19. megatsea

megatsea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    State Fram is my insurance company, no fault state in Florida. They have been co-operative but since it is the other driver at fault, they have handed everything over to the at fault insurance agent.
    The at fault driver who TBoned us has Amica. They are the ones who say DV doesn't apply but have paid for the repairs. His crude attitude towards us and the collission department prompted us to retain a lawyer. We will need to send a demand letter for DV , as in Florida we have the right towards DV. I do not want a car now that might have further issues, trade in is only $10k (2011, 33400miles, and some added options). Or sell privately.
    Dealership 2011 retail is high, selling privately might be best, but trade in sometimes has benefits as well with less sales tax ,incentives, maintenance etc....I am searching for a replacement if needed. I will give the car a month of use to see if there are any more issues before we make a decision.
    The adjuster must have placed a high retail value on the car before they would consider a loss as the shop said they needed another $7k in repairs to meet their % of damage to value. Thats rediculous.
    Sadly, we had worked so hard to find a perfect used, non smoker, accident free, low milage Prius we could afford. We bought the car so I could have a reliable , fuel efficient car for me to drive daily for radiation treatments from Feb. to April. The car was bought in February, accident in May.
    If we had used State Farm to represent us, they said the collision would reflect on our policy, raised rates.

20. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not sell that car on my own. You really don't want to be responsible for that reconstructed vehicle. Again, I would push, via a lawyer, my insurance agent, dealership, what ever but I would get out of that car and as far away as I could. Any one who has any brain at all, will access Carfax and it must show major damage. Who would buy a car that has been T-boned. It will never have a good trade in value, or privet sale value. Losing money on the trade or sale of a car is expected, but on a reconstructed wreck, it is not a pleasent thought. Sell it to the dealer, they will take it to auction. It's just such a shame, you have to deal with so many people looking out for number one. Insurance is such a horrible racket! Like a good neighbor, your in good hands, yeah right, I fly jet fighters too.

WE0H likes this.