1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 5 year journey

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by RoadNoise, Jun 8, 2016.

1. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Greetings fellow Prius drivers! First time poster and the owner of a new silver 2016 Two Eco. I began the process of thinking about another car about 5 years ago, but my 1995 Kia Sportage was still serviceable about town, so no rush (my best hyper-mile attempts yielded 28 mpg/city. What a pig!).

About the Kia. I bought it used for my daughter in 2000 for her to drive to college. Upon her graduation, she bought a Volvo and abandoned the Kia at my house. It sat in the driveway for about a year when I decided to sell my '89 Mazda MPV (who needs it, the kids have flown the coupe) and drive the long paid-for Kia. A bit rough around the edges to put it mildly and it had no airbags and the dash lights did not work and it leaks oil. No big deal, we would take the wife's car when traveling out of town.

Fast forward to 2011. The youngest of my children has graduated from college and dumped their crap in my garage adding to my oldest daughter's crap. Add it all to my crap and we could have been featured on Hoarders. Would have liked to have purchased a car then but there were weddings to be paid for, so I wait.

Three years ago my wife was almost insisting I replace the Kia for safety reasons. About this time the Kia windshield wipers stopped working. Said I would NOT get another car until I had a spot for it in the garage. Not gonna happen. Started cleaning it out, but a major house reno and yet more crap thrown in there.

Had my eye on a used Mini Cooper but a test drive ended that short affair. Then considered a Fiat 500 but reliability was not up to snuff. BMW would be cool except for the cost of maintenance.

Test drove a new Honda Fit a year ago. Not a great experience but it would be adequate for mostly about town driving. But the crap in the garage would not go away. Even with the incentive of a new car we did not finish cleaning it out until 3 weeks ago. Jeez.

Test drove a new Fit again but the seats were not comfortable, the legroom was terrible and the AC struggled. Then looked at a Civic, Corolla, etc. Would settle for either of those.

Why it took so long for me to consider a Prius is beyond me. Maybe I thought they were too expensive? The batteries unreliable? I don't know, but about two weeks ago it just dawned on me; Prius! Makes perfect sense on so many levels. We test drove several used gen 3 models and twice came very close to making a purchase. But we were not thrilled with the acceleration, seat comfort nor road/vehicle noise (the noise did not bother me after driving the Kia for 16 years).

As luck would have it, I stumbled upon this forum and discovered the 2016 Prius was a complete redesign (scary just-in-time due diligence on my part). I gleaned a wealth of knowledge and high confidence in the new model from this site. Went for a test drive and that's all she wrote. We're impressed with the acceleration, comfort, mileage and hushed ride and she gets prettier every day. Done deal but $10k more than we wanted to spend. I prefer buying used but have no regrets (yet).

Maybe if I had waited another week, a Volt or Leaf would've caught my eye. In 6 months, perhaps a Bolt. Two more years (or 3 or 4), a Tesla Model 3!

Gonna miss the old Kia.

#1 RoadNoise, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think you will miss the Kia. Great story and welcome to Prius Chat and the Prius community/family.

ETP and krmcg like this.
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great Read!

ETP likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmm.
    Impulse buyer, huh?

Greetings and Welcome Aboard!

We have a neighbor down the street with 2-1/2 vehicles parked outside their garage, which is crammed full of boxed crap.
    Only having met him once at a neighborhood Ice Cream Social (put on by a Dentist! You have to LOVE living in the South!!!!) we quickly forgot each other's names.
    I just call him "College Dad"...... ;)

Oh yeah.

[SPOILER ALERT!!!]

If there's a tiny window of time that the marriages are paid for, but you haven't started with Grand Kids yet?
    Build a detached garage.
    You can forget using the per-existing garage for automobile storage once all of the grand-kid SWAG starts arriving.

Best of Luck!

alanclarkeau and ETP like this.
  5. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    LOL, we are already there! Three grandsons 4 yo and younger and a grand daughter due next month. The swag is mounting quickly with my wife doing volunteer work at a thrift store and getting first dibs. My daughters have not bought clothes for the boys in over a year. What did ya bring home today, sweetie? Now tossing out more stuff to make room, but not in my garage!. But it's all good, as we say in the South.

ETP likes this.
  6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Most of us have had a very long journey.

Diesel Rabbits, Honda Hybrids, diesel GM v-6, Chevette, Corolla, MB 240 D and 300D. Wish I would have just not bought anything until my first Prius. What a waste of money all those years. Should have spent it on something that matters in life.

7 Grandkids get whatever they want.LOL Give it to the ones you love while you can.

#6 ETP, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Ain't that the truth.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Great people here.

krmcg and ETP like this.
  8. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Welcome RoadNoise! You have found the right place to enhance your Prius owning experience. There couldn't be a nicer, more helpful group of people here! This "community" has been invaluable to me... and I truly believe it's part of "the experience" of owning a Prius... and will have you coming back here everyday.

I was very much like you... checking out all the usual cars. Now I'm a first time hybrid owner... and a long time (to come) PriusChat enthusiast!! (y)

Congratulations! Enjoy!!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome. great choice, all the best!(y)

ETP likes this.
  10. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thank you PriUncut and bisco (and usnavystg and krmcg and ETC(SS))! The vehicle comes with an 800 page manual but this forum is so much better and a lot more fun. I learn something new about it everyday it seems.

ETP likes this.
  11. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What a fantastic first post , really enjoyed reading it. Like yourself , first time Prius owner ( wife got one ) , now I know why 18 million people can't be wrong. Damn gen 4 is more a car than a hybrid , although the benefit of the hybrid system is a massive bonus.

LG-H901 ?