1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 5000 mile service experience

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RoadNoise, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my opinion (of course, it's a forum for discussion) but unless you experience a large range of temperatures throughout the year, the benefits of nitrogen aren't realised.

The reason for nitrogen, I'm told, is that the tire pressure will vary less as the outside temperature changes because it doesn't change its density too much with the normal range of temperatures we experience in the atmosphere. Air compromises of different elements and as we know, will expand or contract depending on temperature. Nitrogen is used in race cars because it gives a more steady tire pressure as the car race around the track (and the tires are exposed to much higher temperatures than our tires would under normal driving conditions). This allows the track team to fill up the tires without having to worry as much about the variability of temperatures (e.g. if it rained then stopped and the sun came out during the laps that the car is out there).

For us regular folks, that marketing idea came for those who didn't (can't be bothered) to check their tire pressures regularly and adjust the tire pressures in their vehicles between summer and winter (bump it up in the winter, drop it down in the summer) due to the changes in temperature.

If you live in an area where the temperature is relatively constant (I don't mean the tropics but even if it's just varied from 50 to 80 F), you're not gonna see the greatest benefit from nitrogen in the tires. In addition, with regular air, you can pump your tires at home while N2 will require a station and that's usually at a service centre (like the dealership or a tire shop).

Also, I rarely get my tire pressures set correctly. They see "Prius" and assume "Corolla" (Wth) and pump 32 PSI all around. They sometimes even write 32 in the service sheet itself. :rolleyes:. Occasionally, I've seen them not even touch it (Because i'll set it at 40/38 and sometimes it's reset to 32 or 35/33. But I've had it left at 40/38... which, funny enough, is probably for the best in my situation. But for someone else, probably not in their best interests).

They've button down recently and I have checked and it's been reset to 35/33. So either it's a new management or they've gotten their act together.

RCO likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the 5000 service still free in the US? Assuming so, the service department is obligated to rotate the tires. And thanks to Toyota's odd-ball tire pressure spec, fix that as well.

They screwed up on the pressures, granted. But I don't understand the Eco "requiring" nitrogen fill, that is not the case. It's seems like the service department was bending over backwards to fulfil an unreasonable request, and then getting chided for taking too long.

If this was all in the course of the free service, I think they're being very patient.

Regarding the OP's dealing with the Parts Department: parts guy sells him what he asks for, but remarks that he doesn't think a transaxle fluid change is warranted. Life goes on.

#22 Mendel Leisk, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    RCO and krmcg like this.