1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Auto Headlamp kit Installation

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Drdiesel, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just what the title says. This is how I did it :eek: I don't do things the same way others do and this
    installation is a minimalist approach to MY WAY of doing things. Take what you like from it.
    I'm not posting this as a beall-endall installation. It's for the forum members who would like to
    install an auto headlamp kit. It's a streamlined installation and you can do anything you like different.
    Please don't contaminate this thread with what I should or shouldn't have done :p

Remember, this is HOW I DID IT! You can do anything you chose on your own vehicle.

If you have any questions or need some clarification, just ask. I'll be glad to help anyone that, I can :ROFLMAO:

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So,! After having my cluster out to perform the passenger air bag light modifications, I decided to mount my
    DEI model 545T Auto Headlamp Control in the dash area under the cluster bezel. Here's my location

Attached Files:

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I took advantage of the central location and mounted the photo cell next to the Toyota A/C load sensor.
    It was easy to run the wire into the dash. I just pushed the defroster grill down (be easy so you don't break anything)
    and ran the plug back to the control module.

Attached Files:

4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't mount the on/off switch. I let it hang off the wire harness so I can access it from under the dash.
    I didn't use the control modules relay setup. I used 1 of the relays by itself. I used some female spade terminals
    and wired the single relay to the control module. I just cut the wires and spliced it back in. I mounted
    the relay on the bottom of the steering column, inside the plastic cover. You need to remove the cover to gain access
    to the headlamp switch plug. I used the electric power steering module plug to access a constant 12V and
    a switched 12V power supply for the module. The headlamp switch grounds the headlamp wire that controls the
    headlamps via the body control module.

5. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    After you expose the turn/headlamp switch you'll see a blue wire in the number 1 position from the left.
    That's the wire you need to connect the rely control wire to. The relay will ground that wire to turn on the headlamps
    through the BCM. All the parking lamps come on and the dash lamps dim the same as if you manually turned it on
    through the switch. The other relay wire goes to ground. I used the column mounting nut for ground.

6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a wiring diagram of my simplified installation.

Attached Files:

7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thanks for the guide. the diagram is very helpful

8. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    :cool:

9. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the DEI 545T's wiring info.

I left all the harness wires that I didn't use intact. Nothing was hacked off for sake of convenience.
    I simply tied everything up into a small little harness near the controller. The only thing removed
    was the relay block that came with the system. This way, I can move it to another vehicle or add
    another function if I change vehicles or expand this one. Thanks for looking :D

Attached Files: